The 'Talking Phase' In Dating Needs To Die

It's a barrier between two people preventing them from engaging in a healthy relationship.

333

The original intended purpose behind the talking phase is to connect with a person on a deeper level before dating. It is established that both people are into one another but there are so many barriers surrounding this level of intimacy. The "talking phase" is an unnecessary step, created by millennials, in the progression of being in an exclusive relationship. But, its presence in modern dating has yet to die. Here are three reasons it has to go:

The name.

Talking is a part of everyday life- an exchange of information from one person to the next. I talk to my friends and even to my dog sometimes. That doesn't mean I am trying to romantically be involved with any of those parties nor would I want to. There is no significant aspect of talking that indicates a romantic relationship.

The unidentified boundaries.

With this stage come an enormous amount of uncertainties due to the lack of structure or timeline surrounding the idea. Talking means different things to different people. To some individuals, it's used as a sorry excuse to be romantically involved with someone without the labels or commitment. To others, it's essentially the same thing as dating just with a different title. At no point during the talking phase are either parties aware of the intentions of the other person nor are they aware of where the relationship is headed. Additionally, there is no agreement in place that they are only seeing each other. Is it appropriate for someone to have freedom until they decide to call it dating?

It abandons the morals behind dating.

Dating takes the intended purpose of talking but includes commitment. All relationships must start from somewhere. For a relationship to succeed, there has to be structure. The usual layout for dating is you find someone you'd want to be in a serious relationship with and go out on a date. In many cases, multiple dates happen before both parties agree that they are "dating". The boundaries of commitment are never clear with talking, therefore there's a possibility they are entertaining other people. They aren't committed to anyone.

We need to do a better job when it comes to forming relationships. Relationships constitute the foundations of society. If we continue to go down this route it will greatly affect our future.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.