Taking The First Step Is The Hardest Part

You have to take the first step at some point.

2142
Philipchirchop

Literally and Figuratively;

Almost, if not everyone, can relate to this. In order to do anything, you have to start at the beginning, taking the first step. This is true about basically anything in your life. Getting up in the morning is the literal first step necessary to begin the rest of your day. Sure, you could lie in bed all day, and trust me we all have those days where our bed is our camping ground for the entirety of the day, but in order to accomplish anything we may want, or have to do, getting up is the very first part. While that may be difficult for some, myself included, there are more difficult first steps to take in life beyond this.

Now that January is over, I’m sure many of the New Year’s Resolutions that were made are beginning to lose their importance. Skipping that one day you were supposed to go to the gym, or a cheat day on a new diet won’t hurt at this point, right? And before you know it, the resolution is gone again just like that, until next year. But again, this does not apply to all, there are those few that take the first step of the New Year to improve themselves and end up sticking to their resolutions. They incorporate all of their goals into their regular lifestyle throughout the remainder of the year, and years to follow. Those of you who can manage to actually keep your resolutions, I commend you; I still haven’t figured out how to do that yet. Regardless, if you just can’t seem to stick to that resolution you make every year, or you’re one of the determined few who actually start and finish what they set out to do, it all began the same way: by taking the first step necessary to begin on this journey, in this new year.

Beginnings define a lot of important, as well as seemingly unimportant, things in our lives. Birth is the literal beginning of it all, and in human culture a lot of importance is put on the firsts of many things throughout one’s life. The first steps, first words, first day of school, first friend, first kiss, first date, first love, first day of college, undergrad and grad school alike, first job, and so much more. Whether or not it is acknowledged, firsts are often the defining point, creating memorable moments in one’s life. Looking back on all these firsts and thinking of how many times you’ve gone through these over and over again, it almost seems foolish to think that when it was brand new, just how scary and nerve racking it originally was to you.

The first day of school that you can remember and thinking of making your first friends seems so distant at this point, and to try and imagine the emotions and thoughts you experienced when it was a first is almost unimaginable. How could you have been so silly and scared? Your first kiss is an embarrassment; unaware of what to do, how long it was supposed to last, and once it happened was it supposed to feel so uncomfortable and awkward? Would it be this way forever? The answer is no, it wouldn’t, but when you first started out it was messy and embarrassing; to think back to this time when it seemed that this would be the end of the world, and you’d just never learn to kiss like a normal human being is laughable to you now.

Your first date was even worse; what to wear, how to act, what to talk about, all the while trying to impress the other while somewhat being yourself. It was overwhelming and too much to think about all at once, while trying to muster up the courage and convince yourself that this wouldn’t be a total disaster seemed almost impossible. Another first tackled and while the nerves of a first date may still arise, it’s nothing like the very first one. And now growing into your own skin, and how to impress one while being true to yourself, comes more natural rather than forced.

The first day of college was the most dreaded. How different it would be than high school, leaving your friends, trying to make new ones, what even is time management, and how do I maintain doing my school work while possibly attempting to have a social life? This was a big one, but again the first is over and you’ve made it through.

So many firsts have come and gone, and yet there are so many more to experience. The first step is always the hardest and most nerve racking no matter what it is that you’re setting out to do, and yet once it’s over, that’s it, you’ve got it down. So while the first step may be the hardest, it is also the most important in doing anything in this life. Whether it was good or bad you’ll have plenty of time to keep trying, and it will never be as hard as it was the first time around.

And with that comes an appropriate ending to my first post on the Odyssey. I had a lot of ideas for what I wanted to write, this was actually not even one of them, but it came to me when I was told I’d be a part of this community. I was nervous to take the first step in what will hopefully be a long journey in writing articles every week, but here I am. Next time it won’t be so hard, as I have now conquered it for the first time.