Ball Was Life

Ball Was Life

You don't know how much you'll miss it until you're gone.

19
Ball Was Life
mLive

It's been nearly three years since I stepped on the court as a basketball player.Three years later and it's just now hitting me in the face like a ton of bricks; man, I miss basketball.I miss being around it just as much as I miss playing.I had to leave the comfort of my high school gym to realize how big of an impact it had on my life.Ball was life.

Between October 30th and March 20th I would eat, sleep, and breathe basketball.Every decision I made seemed to revolve somehow around the game.If we didn't have practice, we had a game.If we didn't have a game, more than likely the boys would be playing somewhere.There was never a game that was too far to drive to.Saturday mornings were spent in the gym teaching little girls the love of the game and Saturday afternoons were spent cursing it as we ran lines.

Nothing will ever compare to the adrenaline of running out from the locker room to the familiar sound of the fight song, the familiar smell of popcorn, and the familiar faces of the fans who never missed a game.Nothing will ever compare to the butterflies in my stomach right before tip-off regardless of how many games had preceded that one.Nothing will ever compare to being surrounded by a group of girls who, win or lose, were some of the greatest people that I knew.There was nothing quite like game day.

The gym was my home.When I wasn't there, I was thinking about the next time I would be.I was always thinking of what color I would paint my face next game, who I would make a sign for next time, and what outrageous throwback uniform I could get my hands on for the next big rivalry game.

There is no feeling like looking around and seeing the whole community gathered in one place and cheering for the same thing; a tiger victory.Whether I was on the court or in the stands I would always be able to look into the crowd and see a little sampling from everywhere: the teachers, the students, the parents, the alumni, the community members, and those there for the other team. It was a basketball family.

Sometimes I'd like to think that basketball taught me more than some of my classes ever could.I learned the value of teamwork and cooperation.We're all affected cause we're all connected.I learned the value of hard work and leadership.Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.I learned how to win and lose graciously.Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn.I learned that there truly is strength in numbers.We were teammates for months and friends forever.

Basketball has been a driving force in my life for as long as I can remember, and I owe much of who I am today to it.Basketball brought my community together, it introduced me to some of my closest friends, it taught me instrumental life lessons, and it gave me memories that I will cherish for a lifetime.As I move away from being a player and begin the journey as a spectator and hopefully a coach, I know the my love for the game will never fade.Ball was, is, and will forever be life.