Ahhh, The Sweet Smell of Success

Ahhh, The Sweet Smell of Success

10 Ways To Succeed In College

16
Ahhh, The Sweet Smell of Success
LifeHacks

DUN DUN DUNNNN . . . . . . COLLEGE!

Whether you are in high school, a high senior, or you are ready to start your first day of college, I have set up these 10 ways on how to succeed in college. Of course, you may feel stressed just thinking of how overwhelming things might get, or maybe you are the type to care less about your studies. But you should CARE!

Anyways, believe me when I say, that these few tips helped me immensely. Thanks to these secret tips, I was able to achieve Dean's list! A plethora of doors of opportunities were opened as a result.

Check them out, perhaps some may help you!

1. Stay organized.

So you're about to enter to class only to find out you forgot your 10-page research paper at home (or dorm) and now you are stressing like crazy! Or perhaps you did the wrong assignment or you failed to follow the requirements of a particular assignment. What a bummer! As a college student, it is critical you remain organized 24/7! Not only will being organized keep you at ease, but it will reduce your stress level by more than 50%!

*A helpful tip that I personally use is buying an agenda or planner. No, that is not something nerds use. Trust and believe that even those with high professions have these in order to manage their own careers as well as their lives. Write everything down whether it's an assignment that is due on a certain day, a test, an event, a presentation, a project or even a job interview.

Did you know that by writing things down, your brain has more storage capacity for other important things?

2. Don't procrastinate!

Yes students, DON'T PROCRASTINATE! I cannot express how many times I have been in this situation and in the end, it is far more stressful. Procrastinating causes you to miss out on certain things. Let's say you had a test you knew about for 2 weeks. If you wait until the day before the test, you are obviously doomed. Unless, you remember 2 weeks of lecture in one night.

Cramming is a no-no. Practice time-management skills. You can try studying or reviewing everyday for 30 minutes. Best believe you will be in better shape during test day.

This applies as well to other assignments you have. Of course, procrastination can eventually follow you when you have your own career and life.

UNLESS, you do really good under pressure.......

3. Attend class every single day! (That includes skipping or coming in late!)

So you wake up late to class...perhaps partied too hard the night before, or maybe you were just too lazy to go to your 8 am. Attending class means you will be able to hear what the professor has prepared for that specific class. You wouldn't want to have missed vital information that you may need for future references.

If there is a really an emergency in which you cannot attend class, make sure to email your professor and let them know so they are aware and do not think you skipped class because you did not feel like going. Make sure it is a legitimate reason.

4. Take good notes.

When taking notes, I recommend using colorful highlighters to point out important key points. Studies show that those who use bright colors, such as note cards or highlighters are 40% more likely to better remember the information. Everyone is different so this can't apply to everyone, but it can certainly help.

5. Actively participate in class.

Ask questions. Don't stop yourself because you may feel like you will be ridiculed or that students will give you that stare to shut your mouth. Your professor will see that you're not just a student filling up a chair and that you care about the information being taught. Trust me, they can see.

6. Join a club or participate in community service.

Being too focused on your studies can sometimes become overwhelming and therefore stressful. You may feel like you just can't take it anymore. Sometimes it can lead to very unhealthy emotions.

Join a club or do something out of your norm. Try something fun during your free time. Not only will you feel good, but you can also make new friends along with it!

7. Surround yourself with a group of friends with positive mindsets.

"Walk with the dreamers, the believers, the courageous, the cheerful, the planners, the doers, the successful people with their heads in the clouds and their feet on the ground. Let their spirit ignite a fire within you to leave this world better than when you found it."

Wilferd A. Peterson, Author & Businessman

8. Don't be a follower, be a leader!

This statement should speak for itself. You should never have to feel like you belong in a group. Be uniquely, " YOU". You should not have to feel pressured to do something you don't feel like doing. Stand out! Lead the pack.

9. Don't settle for the bare minimum, go above and beyond!

Sometimes, we want to do the minimum to get by. Perhaps, there is a project you are working for, but you are working only enough to get a C, just to pass the class. What about aiming higher? Put in more effort. Aim for an A! You only benefit yourself. This does not apply to just school related stuff. It applies to everyday life situations. You will never know your limits until you give yourself a challenge. Go the extra mile!

10. Last but not least, have fun! But not too much fun. Remember why you came to college!

Why did you want to go to college? Remember why you decided to go and stick to it. Don't screw up and let thousands of dollars go down the toilet. Remind yourself of your future and your career.

Stay Strong, Work Hard, Have Fun Later!