Sweater Weather: A Short Story

Sweater Weather: A Short Story

There's nothing better than coming home.

113
Sweater Weather: A Short Story
Shutterstock

He made his way up to the bedroom, setting his suitcase down at the foot of the bed. He looked around the room with a smile, just glad to be home. He sat down on the edge of the bed for a moment before exhaustion took over and he flopped back, thinking that he`d rest his eyes just for a couple minutes.

When he woke, he glanced over at the clock, and nearly an hour had gone by. He shook his head, silently chastising himself. He walked right past his still-unpacked suitcase, something that he would surely get talked to about later for the millionth time, and made his way over to his dresser. He pulled a pair of flannel pajama pants out of the bottom drawer, gladly changing into those instead of staying in the slacks that came with his suit.

Then he meandered over to his side of the closet. He opened the door, pushing the hangers apart one by one in search of a comfy sweater to wear. Suddenly, he thought better of it. He shut the door to his closet and strolled over to Colin`s dresser. David knew where everything was at this point since when he moved in, he unofficially made Colin`s wardrobe an extension of his own. It was comforting, and Colin`s sweaters sat perfectly on him.

Not that Colin agreed with that particular sentiment. It`s not that the man minded David borrowing his clothes, he just didn`t see why David would want to. One day, Colin had told him, “If you like it, that`s fine, Darling, but we can go get you the same thing in a size that fits.” David would just smile and shake his head; he knew one day Colin would get it.

He pawed around the bottom of the drawer until he felt a familiar material underneath his fingertips. He pulled out Colin`s old maroon college sweater. It was probably the only thing that Colin still owned with a hood on it. He never wore the thing, probably for that exact reason, but David absolutely adored it. It was loose on him, the bottom hem dropping well past his waist and the sleeves completely covering his hands and then some. It was cozy though, and it smelled like Colin. The emblem on the front was faded, so much so that if you hadn`t seen it when it was still relatively new, you wouldn`t have the slightest clue as to what the image was supposed to be.

He put on a pair of slippers and went back downstairs. He turned the heat up a bit to take the chill off the house and went to the kitchen to make himself a cup of hot cocoa. He flipped the hood of the sweatshirt up and pulled his sleeves up just enough to have full use of his hands while making his drink.

David plopped himself down on the couch, setting his cocoa down for a moment while he turned on the TV and put a movie on. Once he found something he liked, he waved his hands for a few seconds until the sleeves fell back down over them, giving him a set of paws instead of hands. He had a pleased little smile on his face as he cupped his cocoa between his sweater paws. The heat from the drink warmed his hands and made him feel like melting into the couch.

A little while later, David had only gotten through about half of his cocoa, he heard the sound of the door opening. Colin took his shoes and coat off and immediately went to the living room, where he found David curled up in the corner of the couch, mug still cradled in both hands as Episode IV of Star Wars played on the television. He immediately noticed that David got his hands on his old hoodie again, silently shaking his head to himself with a smile.

“Glad to finally have you home,” Colin sat down next to David, pulling the boy against his side with one arm, moving the hood of the sweatshirt back slightly and kissing him on the temple, “I missed you.”

David smiled up at him, placing a kiss on the man`s jaw before resting his head back against Colin`s side, “I missed you too, Love.”

He looked down, noticing the fact that David`s hands had disappeared in the fabric of the old sweater. He smiled as he watched the boy lift the mug of cocoa up to his mouth using both paws. He must`ve finished his drink, because he leaned forward and set it on the coffee table in front of the couch and proceeded to curl up completely against Colin`s side, nearly disappearing inside the excess cloth of the sweatshirt.

“Still your favorite?” Colin asked as he rubbed David`s back.

“Still my favorite,” he smirked as he rested his sleeve-covered hands on his chest.