Surviving The Dreaded Long-Distance Relationships

It's really difficult, but staying together is completely worth the work.

17
Jay Broadbent

Every TV show I have watched has always pictured long-distance relationships not working. There are so many things that go on in a TV show that really don't happen in real life, and I'm here to tell you that there is a way to survive being in a long-distance relationship while in college. It does not matter how long you have been dating, or even how far away you are. I promise there are ways to still love your significant other and not lose them over the distance. Do not get me wrong, being in a long-distance relationship is one of the hardest things I have ever done. However, you cannot give up. Also, do anything you can to see your loved one as much as possible. There is so much effort that goes into being in this kind of relationship. I'll tell you what though, it is definitely worth it.

I have been in a long-distance relationship for two months now. It may not seem like the longest time and I may lose credibility over that, but these past couple months have taught me so much. The most important thing that I have learned is really to never give up. There are going to be so many times when you think this is pointless. You will think that it is nearly impossible to get through this. It is not going to be easy, but you cannot stop trying. I know being in college really hurts your wallet, and it's hard to buy really nice things for the people you love. Luckily, those expensive gifts aren't necessary. It's old fashioned, but don't be afraid to send a letter to your other half. It is cheap, and incredibly easy to do. I promise that your loved one will appreciate it so much, it'll mean so much more than a lengthy text message. To make sure that you are still trying to make the relationship work, do your absolute best to be as involved as possible in your boyfriend/girlfriend's life. Always ask how their day was. Do not let a day go by where you do not ask how their day was. Trust me, it will mean a lot to them that you are always caring about their life. Ask about their classes, their professors, and any clubs hat they might be joining. Do not get too needy, however, and you need to trust them. Trust and communication are two very important things in any relationship, but they are even more essential when it comes to a long-distance relationship. Support the one you love through anything that they do, and I promise that it will all work out in the long run.

One thing that is also extremely important is to try and see the one you are in this long-term relationship as much as possible. I know that is very easy to figure out, but it's essential. You could be only two hours away or 20 hours away, but seeing them as much as possible is beneficial to making sure things keep going well. Even if neither of you have a car, it is still possible to see each other. There are fall breaks and Thanksgiving break, which leads up to Winter break when you two can spend a whole month together celebrating the best holiday of the year. Talk to your parents, I'm sure they are more than willing to do anything to help out their college child that they love so much. It definitely is easier with a car, but use that to your advantage as best you can. Whether you go and visit every weekend or really only see your loved one during breaks, they both are great ways to help get through this long distance. FaceTime and Skype are also incredibly important. This is so easy, and it really can be done every single day. Even if it is five minutes, just seeing and talking to the person you love face to face is essential to staying in a long-term relationship.

Again, it has been really hard for me to be in a long-distance relationship, but there are ways to make it easier. Distance should not be one thing that ruins relationships and kills love. Everyone deserves love, no matter how far apart you are from someone. My parents have always told me that "distance makes the heart grow fonder" and I completely agree. In these past two months, I have more love for my girlfriend than I ever have before. I appreciate everything she has done for me so much more. No one really told me how to get through this kind of relationship, and not giving up and making sure I see the person I love has really helped me so far. I really hope that this can help other people get through the same situation I am in now.