Surviving Your First Convention!

Surviving Your First Convention!

A pocket guide to the halls of greater geekdom

35
Surviving Your First Convention!
http://www.animegator.com

In the age of connectivity and the wide world of multifaceted media, we have more stories in our hands than ever before. Shows, movies, video games, books, comics—there’s something for everyone. When one has consumed all they can of their chosen fictional media, however, what is there left for them?

Why, fandom, of course!

Fans can easily connect online, but one of the most fulfilling outlets of geeky joy is the fan convention. From Fanime to Comic-Con, there is always a new and exciting convention to attend and partake in. So how DOES one have the best possible con experience? Thanks to our handy-dandy Con Survival Guide, you can now find out.

Con Prep 101:

So, what does one need to get ready for a con, anyway? Know early what cons you are hitting so you can buy your tickets when the prices are lower. If you want to spend more than a day, consider getting the weekend pass, which is a better deal. By planning ahead, you can also get in early on a shared hotel room, get together old or new cosplays, and collect merch you might want to sell at a swap meet.

Securing Your Crash Pad:

When it comes to finding a place to stay, keep in mind: time is precious. Conventions are a gold mine for nearby hotels, who jack up prices and will inevitably reach full booking in an instant. You’ll want to consider whether you prefer convenience at a higher price (lodgings adjacent to or very nearby the convention location) or a better deal further away (where you have to account for extra travel time, parking, and so on). If you’re already within driving distance of the con, it might be worth it to just stay at your own place, or a friend’s if you have one in the city. Ultimately, if you do choose to fork out the cash for a room, it’s inevitably cheaper to share; just make sure you don’t book seven people in two beds if that’s closer quarters than you can handle! Oh, and while you can find strangers to lodge with on convention forums, make sure to use good judgment – don’t meet with anyone whose identity you can’t verify or who gives you a bad vibe.

Scheduling Mayhem:

If there is any one axiom of convention hopping, it is this: you can't do it all. No matter how early you rise or late you stay up, it is physically impossible to make it to every panel, vendor, and cosplay gathering over the period of any one convention. The key to happiness does exist, however: in the form of planning out your day ahead of time. Make sure to keep a schedule of con events on your person at all times and mark-up specific panels and other activities you want to attend. And, most importantly, stick with your schedule. Although it's fun to run around with friends, if you're dead-set on seeing your favorite voice actress, don't let your buddies harangue you into squeezing activities in right before an autograph signing. Many panels like guest stars and exterior media presentations will form lines to form lines. As such, it is imperative to show up early, preferably half an hour to forty minutes prior to your target venue.

What To Bring:

To overpack, or underpack? This is the eternal struggle when con day arrives. On one hand, you never want to be stuck in a situation where you end up dehydrated or starving because you didn't pack water or snacks, or get a hole in your costume and have nothing to fix it with. On the other hand, the con exhaustion is strong, and carrying around a heavy pack may leave you with aching shoulders for days to come – plus, you don’t want to lose any valuables. One compromise is making sure that your bag is well-supported and doesn't cause undue stress, like a small backpack. This should be easy enough to carry while still being able to hold a good amount of items: say, a refillable water bottle, a couple of snack bars, a camera, portable charger, travel sewing kit, sunblock, wallet, and maybe a notebook and pen for autographs.

Stay Cool, Stay Full:

Conventions are a lot of fun, but they’re also very physically taxing. Running around the con floor for hours can tucker out just about anybody. Add the thousands of bustling fans, and now you're tired and boiling. To make matters worse, you also have to find something to eat? What can be done? For starters, find water fountains where you can, and if you can't then go ahead and buy water bottles like no tomorrow. Dehydration is always a major issue when perusing aisles and events. Even if by some miracle you don't feel the dry grasp of thirst, drink something anyway. For the sake of your health and well-being, it's an absolute must.

Similarly, attempt to eat as often if not more than you normally would; you will be burning more energy than you realize standing in line and traipsing up and down stairs; keeping yourself fueled will make such tasks much less agonizing. If you're worried about extended bathroom breaks, you may consider eating several smaller meals throughout the day, or eating in advance or after long events.

Weathering The Weather:

One thing that people often neglect to consider during con season is the weather. The convention center may be primarily inside, but chances are you’ll be crossing in and out to get food, hop hotels, attend panels, meet shuttles, and take photos. This means mindfully dressing for the winter or summer season and location (yes, that means you bring a jacket), and for Stan Lee’s sake, using sunblock if you’re under the sun a lot. Even cool or windy days involve sun cover, and you’re likely to sweat a lot from the movement and humidity of highly congested places. Bring a travel tube with you, and especially be mindful to sunblock tattoos, exposed areas, and body paint or painted-on cosplay details.

Rabble-Rousers And Other Scoundrels:

Ideally, there would be cons with no troublemakers, ones where everyone is amiable or otherwise kept to themselves. Reality is not always so giving, and despite generally well-mannered convention-goers, there will always be outliers. Such individuals may manifest in people who cut in lines for panels or vendors, harass cosplayers and other attendees, commit acts of general creepiness, and perhaps worst of all, consistently shout comments at or over guest speakers.

These unruly dissidents are often all bark and no bite, but all the same, one should tread carefully when dealing with them. If simply ignoring trouble-makers fails, one can always seek aid from a convention worker or volunteer. If such a staff member is unavailable, encourage a civil group intervention before you attempt a confrontation mano y mano. The last thing you want to do is be made to bend the rules in the pursuit of getting even, or go so far as to jeopardize your own safety. At the same time, many people may be unsure as to how to seek help, and it is then that one may consider bystander intervention.

Safely Meeting Strangers:

A final note on con safety: be wary of strangers! This is true even in a social, fun, friendly atmosphere like a convention. Cosplayers, photographers, attendees, and observers are not exempt from being skeevy. Always listen to your gut, stay with friends (especially while traveling at night or in unfamiliar areas), and don’t go to random hotel rooms or parties with people you don’t know. The best and easiest way to meet new people and still stay safe is make sure you have contact with someone you know at all times; even a con rover or staff can count for this.

Foot Traffic And Navigation:

Everybody wants to get somewhere, but we can't all get there all at once. Some conventions will be good-natured enough to outline two lanes for walking in opposite directions, but more often than not you will be running around without any real sense of boundaries. So how does one go about going about? Typically, people will blob together, and those large blobs will usually drift in certain directions, like a strange school of human fish. However, sometimes two or three blobs will all be moving in any direction but the one you're headed for. In those instances, without too much shoving and elbowing, we recommend a healthy flexing of your urban ninja skills to courteously but decisively squeeze your way to victory. If you're fearful of get caught in the blob, you may consider use of the buddy system to keep you and your pal together.

Good Shopping Practices:

When it comes to vendors’ ware, if you see it, and you really love it, buy it! ‘Cause it will disappear. Simultaneously, if you’re not sure whether you want something or not, go through the hall a few times. Write down your fave items or tables and their prices, and it’ll be easier to tell what you can afford all together, so you don’t break the bank. Before you drop the cash on anything, though, be sure to check out all the booths. A common item may be going at eight different vendors for different prices – you’ll save cash by making sure you go for the best deal.

As far as the artist’s alley goes, treat your artists well! Don’t tell them they’re overpricing their art; they hear it enough in the real world. Art is hard work. Instead, chat with your favorite artists. They like the praise and the small talk, and it’s always good to have connections and see where they end up next. When you take something home, remember that prints are frail and bendable, and though some artists and vendors sell protective screens, many don’t! Be sure to bring your own folders and portfolios when you can.

Gaming Table-manners:

One of the most enthralling and social aspects of any large convention is the gaming halls that comes with it. Be it Catan or Streetfighter, Monopoly or Mario Kart, there's a little something for everyone. That said, one has to remember that this is an equal-opportunity venture. Chances are, if you wouldn’t get away with hogging the air hockey table in an arcade, you won't get away with it at a con either. Of course you want to have a good time, but so do the other countless masses, and it's important to give everybody a chance to play their fill. Anything else, such as conduct, theft, and other courtesies, boil down to your standard common sense: play responsibly, folks!

Cosplay Encounters:

Holy Miyazaki, that’s the best Princess Mononoke you’ve ever seen! You have to get a picture! What do you do? There are a few best practices to keep in mind when it comes to interacting with cosplayers. Cosplayers at rest, amid foot traffic, looking overworn, or in safe areas like the cosplayer fix-up lounge should be treated with respect and not approached, no matter how glorious their costume. If you do see someone available for a pic, make sure you ask before snapping a photo, and try to do it out of the way. Additionally, things like random “glomping” (or giving hugs without asking), treating a cosplayer like their character to an invasive or aggressive extent, and assuming a ‘sexy’ cosplay equals an invitation for come-ons or harassment are all big No-Nos. Use common sense, people – cosplayers are human beings. They’ll likely be happy to pose for a shot if you treat them as such!

Whether they be comic, anime, or otherwise, conventions can appear taxing and laborious affairs from the outside. Conversely, with a few tricks and a little knowhow, the experience can easily prove one of the most fulfilling and entertaining times of your life. Indeed, be not afraid, for costumed or otherwise, there’s a little something for everybody.