How To Survive Being Sick In The Dorms

How To Survive Being Sick In The Dorms

It's cold and flu season. Be ready to tackle your cold head-on.

368
How To Survive Being Sick In The Dorms
quickmeme.com

The story usually goes a little something like this: You hear about other people in the dorm becoming sick. It seems like literally everyone is sick, except you. Maybe even your roommate is sick, yet you are not. You convince yourself that you are immune and that you will not get sick. Then, it hits you.

It may start as just a stuffy nose or a slight cough, but then, out of nowhere, it is a full cough, more mucous than your body can handle, fatigue, and a congested nose that makes your voice sound like your nose is constantly being pinched shut.

But, fear not, for if you take the right steps, that dreaded dorm cold will be gone before you know it.

The most important rule for fighting off a cold is rest. Go to bed early, maybe take a break from going to the gym, and definitely do not go out with your friends. Take it easy so that your body can fight off the sickness.

The next rule is to hydrate. Especially if you have a mucous-y cough, drinking a ton of water will help loosen the mucous. Tea is also a great way to hydrate and to ease a sore throat. I highly recommend Throat Coat Tea with some honey.

In addition to rest and hydration, medicine can definitely help. Any common cold and flu medicine will do the trick, such as Mucinex, NyQuil, or Alka-Seltzer Plus. Additionally, you can take Sudafed to ease the nasal congestion and ibuprofen for your sore throat. Take these on a regular schedule to help lessen the intensity of your symptoms. And to avoid being that annoying person in class who cannot stop coughing, I recommend keeping some cough drops with you to stop a coughing fit. Additionally, make sure that you are getting your vitamins, whether by taking a daily multivitamin pill or drinking a cup of Emergen-C.

When you are sick, making sure you eat well is almost as important as taking medicine. You have to give your body the fuel to fight off the disease. Make sure to eat wholesome, nutritious food, even if you feel like scarfing down a bag of chips and a plate of cookies. Eating fatty or sugary foods is only going to make you feel worse. By eating meals with an equal balance of carbohydrates, vegetables and fruits you provide your body with the nutrients to battle any sickness.

Ultimately, you have to give your body time to become healthy. By resting, hydrating, eating well, and taking medicine, you can speed up the process, but, in the end, time is what will get you back on your feet. However, if a week passes and you don’t feel any better, or if your symptoms worsen, you need to go to your student health center. Every college campus has one with trained professionals and they are there for a reason! So, if you contract a dorm cold, take care of yourself, but don’t be afraid to ask for help.