A Surprising Reaction To "Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising"

I'm Sorry I Ever Doubted You

27
screenrant.com

I'm going to be honest. I did not like "Neighbors" when it came out the summer of 2014. Maybe it was because I went to see it on a fairly awkward first date, but nevertheless, it left me with very little hope for it's sequel. After I saw the trailer, I was even less hopeful. As a sorority girl and a feminist, I was sure the writers were going to butcher what being in a sorority and being a woman in the society we live in really means, and after seeing the car wash scene in the commercial, I was sure they were going to make sexist joke after sexist joke. I was (mostly) wrong, and pleasantly surprised. Here are some of the things I was impressed by, and some of the things that were a bit discouraging. (Spoilers ahead, obviously).

While the rule that sororities aren't allowed to throw parties, is true, it isn't a federal law like the movie suggests, but rather a Panhellenic rule that all 26 sororities follow. The point behind this line, accurate or not, is to set one of the themes for the rest of the movie- equality. It's woven into the storyline at several different points, and isn't just a one-liner thrown in to show that this movie is progressive.

It all starts with the three founders of the sorority: Shelby, played by Chloe Grace Mortez, Beth, played by Kiersey Clemons, and Nora, played by Beanie Feldstein, attending a fraternity party. There's a sign in the house that says, "No means yes," arrows pointing to the upstairs, and drunk fraternity men propositioning them. That's when they leave the party, and decide that they want a safe place where they can party and have fun like college kids are to some extent supposed to do.

While I myself have never been to a fraternity party that made me feel uncomfortable, and not all fraternity men in the country are dangerous, thousands of girls, not just in sororities, across the country have been to a party that made them feel unsafe. Bringing this issue to light is incredibly important, and I was grateful the writers included that in there.

There's a scene where Teddy, Zac Efron, starts listing the different parties his fraternity threw in the house before Kappa Nu was created. The themes include one of the very common fraternity party themes of "CEO's and office hoes." Shelby tells Teddy how sexist those parties really are. Not only do they use the word hoe, a generally degrading term, but it also suggests that the CEO's are the men. After Shelby explains this to Teddy, it's like a little lightbulb went off in his head as he understood that maybe those party themes aren't the most positive.

While I was pleased they portrayed the Kappa Nu girls watching "The Fault in Our Stars," and staying in and eating pizza, as many sorority girls do, they missed one element that was pretty crucial to the movie- genuine sisterhood. Sure, they show a montage of the girls bonding by throwing parties and banning together to fight against the neighbors, but actual sisterhood goes much deeper than that. The climax of the movie embodies what sisterhood looks like from afar, but it doesn't quite hit the mark on how truly how it is.

The first "Neighbors" included a fictional Delta Psi ritual which was an attempt at authenticating the fraternity. And while I understand that these girls were creating their own sorority, so a lot of the traditions and rituals many sororities have weren't applicable to them, they didn't even mention it.

Also, most of it centered around partying. And again, while I understand that a college movie about a sorority girls partying will get much higher ratings than one about sorority girls planning philanthropies and strengthening their sisterhood, they could've added a few lines, or a scene describing them choosing a philanthropy to support, and find a way to make it completely hilarious.

Probably the biggest problem that I had with this movie was the hazing. Here these girls are starting their own sorority that is supposed to be different and emphasize equality, and they have pledges being hazed in minion costumes in several of the scenes. It didn't make any sense, wasn't addressed, and is a stereotype the Greek community as a whole is horrified by.

But, all in all I enjoyed this movie, and maybe that's because my expectations for it were so low, but either way I was surprised throughout the entire movie that I was actually laughing and having a good time. The witty comebacks about feminism, and the attempts at trying to capture sisterhood and girl power were all appreciated. I'm certainly not saying this movie was perfect. There were a few bumps like any film attempting to add real life elements to their story, but in the end it is fictional, and isn't supposed to be entirely accurate. Kappa Nu is not a real sorority, and Delta Psi Beta is not a real fraternity.

I understand how frustrating it can be to be a part of the Greek community and watch movies and television shows mock something that is so important to us, but compared to the other movies I've seen, this movie does a decent job of not portraying Greek life in too negative of a light. So, thank you "Neighors 2: Sorority Rising," for defying the stereotypes that "Scream Queens," "Sydney White," and "House Bunny" capitalized on, and vocalizing an important message about equality that people of all ages need to hear.