Supremacy: A Title Fight For The Unified Middleweight Championship

Buried under the media of Mayweather v. McGregor

11
WallpapersHome

Amidst all the hype of Mayweather v. McGregor, lies a fight that sits weeks away from The Money Fight. On September 16, 2017 at 5:00pm two of the best fighters in the Middleweight division will square off for a title. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will step into the squared circle to challenge middleweight world champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. Each fighter with an impressive record, with Canelo standing at 49-1-1, with the loss being against Floyd Mayweather almost four years ago. His competitor, a fighter from Kazakhstan with an impressive record of 37-0 with a impressive 33 wins by knock out. Each fighter has fought some of the best in their division and the two are finally about to face off, and one will earn the title of IBF Division World Champion.

Now, I can’t wait to watch Mayweather v. McGregor, I think it's going to be a good fight, both fighters are in the prime of their lives, Mayweather might be forty, but he takes care of his body, it might say forty on paper, but he’s really thirty in his heart. I’m not going to do an analysis on this fight, first because I can’t. We’ve never seen McGregor box, his style, technique, and he’s got a 0-0 record in boxing. As far as I’m concerned Mayweather has the advantage because he’s been in longer, but we’ll see August 26.

Back to the fight that matters to the boxing fans out there. The title fight dubbed Supremacy is huge for boxing fans. Both fighters have similar fighting styles. First with Canelo. I love watching Mexican fighters, there’s a saying in boxing Mexican pressure fighter. They’re basically brawlers, guys who aren’t afraid to take a punch, but will keep the pressure on you that your second guessing your next move. Brawlers have some of the best chin in boxing. Over the years Canelo has matured, he’s become more patient and switched from a brawler to boxer puncher. Once Alvarez made catchweight, his bouts against Miguel Cotto, James Kirkland, and Amir Khan proved that he could wait for the perfect moment to strike against his opponent, versus his bouts against Mayweather where he was simply throwing any punches he could.

On the other hand, lies Tripple G, Kazhak thunder! Widely regarded as the one best pound for pound boxer and holed a unified WBA, WBC, IBF, and IBO middleweight titles, Gennady Golovkin enters the ring with a perfect record. He’s fought some fighters with similar impressive records before their loss against Triple G. Just like Canelo, Triple G has a phenomenal chin. These two fighters have similar fighting styles and techniques. Both fighters have incredible power.

My analysis of this fight is that Golovkin will with this fight by decision, and it will be a very close call. My reason; simply because Triple G has experience in the middleweight division. He’s a bit older than Canelo, but that means nothing. Canelo’s managers wanted to wait for Golovkin to turn 35 to give Canelo a slight advantage. I also believe that Golovkin is a harder puncher, his punches are tactful and perfectly placed, watching his fights, every punch thrown is calculated, there is rare any “slaps”. Golovkin might be an orthodox fighter, but he’s comfortable with both left and right. In Golovkin v. Brooks, Triple G was able to damage Brook’s eye socket with a left hook in the first round.