Supporting Student Athlete

Supporting Student Athlete

Student athletes need our support so here is a list to help you accomplish this task

23
Supporting Student Athlete
Gamer Limit

Since this week is devoted to suicide awareness, I wanted to write about a certain group of students that are put under more pressure than others. These students are also athletes. This year, the NCAA had a study on student athlete's mental health and the statistics are shocking.

These are only some of the statistics for a few sports. Obviously, they need our support.

Supporting someone who is a student athlete can be challenging to understand if you have not played a sport at a collegiate level. I was on the volleyball team here my first semester of college and many of my friends are still actively engaged in athletics at SBU. Through my own experiences as well as many conversations I have had with the athletes here on campus, I decided to write a list to help you all know how to support a student athlete well.

Let them vent:

Some athletes will open up right away and let you know exactly what they're thinking but others will stay silent until they have processed everything in their head. If someone does open up to you about what is happening whether it's wins, losses, teammates, coaches, academics, ect. listen well and keep it between the two of you! Being there for someone to rely on is the best possible way to support them.

Go watch them:

No matter the sport, every athlete appreciates someone in the stands that is cheering specifically for them. Hearing their name being shouted and seeing their friends being enthusiastic about how they perform is a wonderful sight.

Be proud of them:

It could be because of a win, a personal record, or just for being them. Let others know that you're proud of the student athlete.

Talk about other things:

Student athletes feel pressured in many different ways. Their coaches want them to perform at the highest level, their teachers expect excellent grades, and their friends and family expect to be in the loop with their social lives. Make sure that you talk about academics with the student athlete! Ask them about their interests! Just because their life seems to revolve around their sport doesn't mean they don't have more going on in their life.

Take them out:

If they happen to have a day off from their sport, take them out! Find something fun to do with them! These free days are rare and precious, so take advantage of them. Getting away from school will help refresh them as well as give them some quality time with people outside of their sport.

Pray with them:

Most athletes won't ask for prayer, especially if they aren't a Christian. The truth is, we all need prayer whether we realize it or not! Prayer is powerful and can change any situation.

Meet their family:

If their family is able to come out to support their student athlete, take the time to introduce yourself and let them know that you're a support for them on campus. It also brings you closer to the student athlete because you now understand more about their family dynamics. I know it was a blessing for my parents to meet my friends at the one game they were able to come to. They saw that I had a support system even though I am 1,270.9 miles from home.

Make game days special:

Send them a text before their game so they know you'll be there or message them when you know they are traveling to a game. Ask them to text you after their game to let you know how it went. This will give them something to look forward too and will give them joy to know that their friend cares.

Basically, all I'm saying is... be there for them. Be their friend and love them for who they are, not just for how they perform.