Why I Support The Hamilton Cast

After final bows at a November 18th performance of Hamilton: An American Musical, Brandon Victor Dixon (who currently plays the role of Aaron Burr) gave a small speech to VP-elect Mike Pence who happened to be in the audience that night. And, holy crap, America lost its mind. People are coming out criticizing the cast, and President-elect Donald Trump allegedly tweeted that the entire cast must apologize to Pence. What was the speech that caused such outrage, you ask? See for yourself:

If you ask me, the cast has nothing to apologize for. Not once in his speech did Dixon chastise, criticize, mock, or otherwise insult VP-elect Pence. In actuality, it was the audience who seems to have caused this sudden influx of anger. They are the ones who booed when it came to their attention Pence was in the audience. It was Dixon who said (as you can see above), "There's nothing to boo, ladies and gentlemen. There's nothing to boo." It was Dixon and the rest of the cast who prevented the Richard Rogers Theatre from being filled with an atmosphere of anger and hate that night.

I understand that the 2016 presidential election didn't turn out as some may have hoped. I understand that people may be disappointed, and maybe even a bit angry, with the results. But that simply does not justify booing an elected official. Whether a percentage of America likes it or not, Donald Trump is the next President of the United States and Governor Mike Pence is the next Vice President of the United States.

So I wholeheartedly stand by and support the cast of Hamilton, whether they be past, present, or future cast members, The main message of Dixon's speech was how, now more than ever, we need to make sure there is more love than hate in our nation. Can you honestly criticize a man for asking for peace? Can you honestly be satisfied spewing hate at the message: "We're all here spreading a story of love...we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values..."?

I support the cast of Hamilton: An American Musical. No matter what backlash it brings me or from whom I receive it, I support them.