Supernatural Helps Me Relieve Stress During Finals Season, And I'm Not Ashamed

“Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional.”

55

December goes by very quickly, yet very slowly. There's that moment of, "Oh my gosh, its already December," to "Oh gosh, finals are next week!" December can be both a joyful and a stressful time. With the Advent season, getting ready for Christmas and that annoying thing we call "finals," there is enough going on to make one's head spin.

A few things that keep me somewhat calm, are baking (I tend to stress eat), supernatural videos, and especially music. I typically listen to anything from country, to folk, to classic rock to (during this time of the year) to Christmas music. Music and baking can be super therapeutic.

Supernatural videos that I watch fill me with the endorphins I need since I don't have as much time to workout while studying for finals. In getting those endorphins, I am able to relieve stress. Whether it is comic con videos, gag reels, or clips of episodes, working Supernatural into my day to help me get through the stresses of finals.

If you haven't watched Supernatural before, you need to go watch it. The show is in its fourteenth season, so for you procrastinators out there, it is worth it. I'm finishing my first semester of my freshmen year of college. I started watching the show at the beginning of the semester and have since caught up with the show.

When you need to relieve stress, Supernatural will always be there for you. It will take over your life, but it will be worth it. I love music! I love country music and many other genres of music. When I started watching Supernatural, I was introduced to music I may have heard before but was hearing in a different light, that made me fall in love with Classic Rock.

Through watching the Supernatural videos, I watched comic con videos where Jensen Ackles (who plays Dean Winchester in the show) sings various songs that I fell in love with. The show opened up my range of music. Music is a huge way I relieve stress. I find blasting music in the car to be the best form of relieving stress.

Sometimes I'll leave the windows down, and turn the music all the way up and just sing my heart out. I really get into the music and I really feel my stress melt away and time kind of stands still. Like my problems are a million miles away. The same feeling happens when I watch Supernatural.

Yeah, it can get emotional, scary or suspenseful, but for the duration of the video or episode, my problems go away. My stress is so so far away. And I love it. If I had a choice, there are days I wish I could just stay in those moments. Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games said it best, "I wish I freeze this moment, right here, right now, and live in it forever." Those moments are away from my stress are moments I will always cherish and can always come back to.

If you don't use any of these three ways of relieving stress, then find ways that help you relieve stress and use them. Use them wisely. I'm not sure who said it first, but there is this quote that fits well in times of stress. This quote is, "Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional." Pain is kind of in the moment (i.e. stress), but suffering is long-term (letting the stress linger longer than it should).

Don't linger on the stress. Move on. Don't look back. Just keep swimming (Dory). Don't live your life with stress. Learn to let go on the stress. Be like Elsa, "Let it go!" Actually don't be like Elsa, because her life was stressful. Aside from letting it go, do the opposite of Elsa. Live your life.

Because you don't want to get to the end of your life and realize you never truly lived. Live your life to the fullest. Yes, school is important, but it is not everything. I said it before, but it is worth repeating. "Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional." And don't you dare forget to live your life and be yourself.