Summer Is In The Air

Summertime is quickly approaching and will be here in full force in the blink of an eye. It’s the one time of the year where you can do whatever you want – no rules, no obligations. The only thing you have to do is sit back, relax and enjoy your time off from whatever it is that consumes your days during the fall and spring semesters. A lot of college students use their summer months to invest in things that will benefit their future whether it's backpacking in Europe and aimlessly wandering in foreign countries or a mission trip to Haiti to help those less fortunate. Whatever it is you desire to do this summer, make it count. Here are a few ideas of how to keep busy this summer.Pack your things and venture off to a place you’ve never been. We are still young and have no serious commitments, so take advantage of this! Think of a place you’ve always wanted to go, and go. Spin a globe, put your finger on it and wait for it to stop, where ever your finger lands can be your place of destination. Be spontaneous and take a chance. This is the perfect time in your life to find someplace amazing and indulge in the true pleasure of exploring.

If you want to take a trip, but go for more of a learning experience then, hello, study abroad! If you’ve always imagined learning about a different culture then this is perfect for you. Not to mention that you get to move to a foreign country of your choice for months at a time. The best part about studying abroad is the classes you get to take. They aren’t your typical macro, bio chem or business class. You get to learn language, culture, wine, etc. The options are endless and all fun and interactive. So start brainstorming countries and programs and find your perfect match. Go abroad, fall in love – you know, the whole ordeal.

Plan on staying in America? That doesn’t have to stop you from another great travel opportunity. Get an out of state internship! This will not only give you the experience of living in a different city but you will also get to work for a company that could very well be your post-grad employer. If you’ve ever dreamed of working in a big city, this is your chance. It’s the perfect time to research your favorite companies and find out where they are, what positions they offer and, most importantly, when you can start! Although you could do this in the fall or spring, that's your busiest time of the year. Summer is laid back and filled with nothing but free time. There isn’t a better time for you to take this on.

If you enjoy volunteer opportunities, then summer presents another option. Many young adults in their 20s travel to multiple countries to donate their time and volunteer to help those less fortunate then themselves. I can’t think of a more rewarding way to spend your summer. These kinds of experiences aren’t just beneficial to you, but to the people you work with. This is a chance for you to touch someone’s life and make their day that much better. We’ve all needed a helping hand, at some point or another, and this is the perfect way to extend yours. Better yourself, your life and your mind and give back to those in need.

If you aren’t into traveling, already secured a local internship or are just plain broke, you can use the summer months to find a full or part time job and start saving. College might be looked upon as the most fun time in our lives, but if you’re like me and most college students, it’s probably the most broke you’ve ever been. Take this downtime to get a job that you enjoy and make some dough. Don’t spend it all in one place!

It might be the beginning of April, but time flies when you’re having fun, so don’t put off whatever it is you plan on doing this summer. Start brainstorming ideas and planning out different options so you aren’t left in the dust while your roommates are climbing mountains in Europe. Keep in mind, you do need to get through finals week first, so try not to get to distracted while studying by having six different tabs open on your browser with the best deals on flights and hotels. Happy travels!