Summer Self-Care Tips That Don't Require A Full Life Makeover

5 Fun Self-Care Tips To Be The Best ‘You’ This Summer Without Overhauling Your Lifestyle

Simple things to try that can go a long way.

41
Often times we neglect ourselves. Sometimes it sounds silly to say "self-care" because we're not sick, but regardless you need to care for yourself. This doesn't mean the same as treating yourself, but don't get me wrong, I still love a good shopping spree or a slice of chocolate cake. But self-care is much more and even easier than that. Start off simple! There's no need to dive into changing your habits or life completely. With that being said, here are five easy and fun tips to try this summer.

1. Cook your meals.

Before you say "ugh" under your breath, hear me out. Gut health is extremely important to your overall wellbeing. Try a few new recipes. Who knows what you'll find you like! Taking a bit more control of what you eat will have a great impact on how you feel. Going off of that, if you're working or super busy this summer, try meal prepping. This just means either half or fully prepping/cooking a few of your meals for the week ahead of time. It doesn't take long, but can save you time, effort, and money throughout the week!

2. Decompress and get some sleep!

Everyone knows that sleep is important, but do we really listen? No. Make it a goal to get more sleep this summer. During the school year, my sleep schedule is all over the place, and I usually find myself paying for it the next day. Now, I have to wake up at 6 a.m., so going to bed at 2 a.m. is not an option. Every day I take 10 minutes to decompress from anything work or technology related. I'll either just sit in peace or even try to meditate. I find it much easier to sleep after, and I notice higher energy levels the next day when I get to sleep earlier.

3. Do a mini declutter!

If you're like me, then you love to keep things. The number of shirts I have in my closet that I said "I'll probably wear that" and kept knowing very well I wouldn't is ridiculous. Try a little declutter in your life. I always pick my closet because I have things that I don't need but many other people could use. I try to find a few pieces that I don't need anymore and donate them. This not only helps my closet space but someone in need too. But, this doesn't just have to be your closet, it could be anything. Maybe those knick-knacks in the back of your closet could be recycled! Getting rid of old things can be therapeutic and help your head (and personal) space.

4. Write your thoughts down.

This is a weird thing to people. Learning what your appreciative of, what makes you smile, what upsets you, etc. can help you better understand "you." I try to write a piece of my thoughts down on paper every day. It helps me reflect on the day and understand why I had a good day or bad day. Furthermore, it shows whether my mood had something to do with what happened in the day. This is good to know in bettering yourself. And, if you don't want to write it down, then just take a second to think about it.

5. Have fun and get uncomfortable!

My absolute favorite. No matter what type of mood I'm in, I can count on this to make it better. Blast your music, sing at the top of your lungs, do weird dance moves, and throw a mini-concert in your room. I don't care, but be goofy and let yourself do the things that would usually make you uncomfortable. Why do I love driving alone? I can sing. I don't mean sing along to the music. I mean full-on belt the lyrics so that I can't even hear the music anymore. It's kinda stupid, I'm aware, but it is a game changer. It's a quick and easy pick-me-up, but over time it becomes something I look forward to each day.

These aren't the most outragest changes or tips you can try, but they can help you become a happier and healthier you. I truly believe life is about the little things, so why not focus on making a few little changes? You'd be surprised what those changes can do for you!