Summer Resources

Summer Resources

Books, music and more: some of my favorite go-to's

12
Summer Resources

Summer is a great time to dive into neglected reading lists, music, and more. Here are a few resources I've been enjoying lately.

1. Let Me Be a Woman (Elisabeth Elliot)

I've heard this book recommended for years and am finally getting the chance to read it. Now I understand why so many women love it!

This book a rare snapshot of one woman passing her knowledge to the next generation. Elisabeth wrote this book as a wedding gift for her daughter, Val, so it has an intimate and personal feel. The chapters are quite short, which makes it easy to work into a busy schedule, but the deep truths I read stir in my heart long after.

2. Java with Juli (podcast)

I love finding a good podcast and adding it to my playlist. This one definitely makes the cut! It is part of the Authentic Intimacy ministry, which is aimed towards helping women deal with sexuality as God designed it.

While the podcast does address issues of sexuality that are appropriate for both married and unmarried women, it has a much broader range than might be expected. I've heard topics about helping children navigate the culture, healing from abuse, handling same-sex attraction in ourselves or loved ones, and singleness. Each episode is conversational and leaves me marveling at the goodness of God as I am gently reminded of His beautiful plan and His faithfulness to restore.

3. My Utmost for His Highest (Oswald Chambers)

A dear friend gave me this devotional many years ago. Since then, it has come to be a source of deep refreshing for me. It's one of those books that only becomes richer the more you read it.

This is a popular devotional, but I wonder if many people know its history. Oswald faithfully served God, including helping found a Bible school and serving as a chaplain amid WWII soldiers in Egypt, until his unexpected and early death. His wife had used her shorthand skills throughout his years of speaking and ministering, and she began compiling his messages into writing after his passing. My Utmost emerged from these collections and has become a staple of Christian literature ever since.

4. Set Apart Girl (magazine)

I get kind of very much excited every time a new issue arrives in the mail. This magazine doesn't wimp out on pointing women to run hard after our worthy Jesus, but it does so with beauty and excellence.

With articles about everything from navigating pop culture to handling friendship and romance to personal thoughts from the Set Apart Girl team, I find myself refreshed to live well for my First Love after each issue. Oh, and did I mention that the design quality is top-notch? I love their creative, clean, and elegant style.

5. Keith and Kristyn Getty (music)

Irish flair, rich lyrics, beautiful harmonies—what more can you ask? Keith and Kristyn are best known for their modern hymn, In Christ Alone. But their other songs are just as powerful and faith-building. In times of difficulty, I find that songs often minister to my soul in a way that nothing else can. Just listen to some of these lyrics:

O church, arise, and put your armor on;
Hear the call of Christ our captain.
For now the weak can say that they are strong
In the strength that God has given.

// O Church Arise

Lift high the name of Jesus,
Of Jesus our Light.
No other name on earth can save,
Can raise a soul to life.
...

Oh sing my soul,
And tell all He’s done,
Till the earth and heavens are filled with His glory!

// Lift High the Name of Jesus

But Don't Take My Word for It ...

... Check out these resources for yourself!

These are just a few of my current favorite go-to's. What are some of your favorite resources?