10 Summer Movies To Help You Forget About Winter

10 Summery Movies To Make You Forget That It's Winter

The temperature may be below freezing, but these movies will definitely warm your heart.

111
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3055/2700260716_dfacdd0787_z.jpg?zz=1

It's January, and that means we're faced with another several weeks of snow, sleet, and below-freezing temperatures that somehow make it painful to breathe when outside. While classes kick off, it can be hard to look towards the glorious summer vacation awaiting us at the end of the semester. However, by watching one of the following movies, summer may just seem a little closer after all.

1. "La La Land"

LaLa Land Dance

With songs like "Another Day of Sun" and "A Lovely Night," 2016's "La La Land" became a blockbuster for reasons to do with its beautiful story, outstanding soundtrack, and star-studded cast. "La La Land" follows the lives of aspiring actress Mia and struggling musician Sebastian as they fall in love in Los Angeles, trying to make their dreams come true.

2. "Aquamarine"

Aquamarine Gif

Set right at the end of summer, teenagers Hailey and Claire find themselves on a whirlwind adventure when they meet mermaid Aquamarine after a powerful storm. Aquamarine has three days to prove to her father that true love exists, and Hailey and Claire team up with her to win the local lifeguard's love before here deadline is up. "Aquamarine" is a feel-good movie that tackles what love truly is and can be.

3. Any superhero movie

Avengers GIF

Superhero movies tend to be big summer blockbusters, and for that reason, there's no better time to watch them than in the middle of winter, waiting for summer to arrive. Whether its Superman and Wonder Woman and the rest of the Justice League or Captain America and Iron Man hunting for the Infinity stones, any superhero movie tends to radiate the kind of energy that we all associate with summer. Full of adventure, comedy, and general awesomeness check out your favorite superhero movie!

4. "Mamma Mia" and "Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again"

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again

Who can resist the "Mamma Mia" movies? I sure can't. Set on an idyllic Greek island in the height of summer, the "Mamma Mia" films are full of ABBA's greatest hits. Telling the stories of young Sophie and her mother Donna, the movies navigate their way through the meanings of family and love, all before a beautiful summery backdrop.

5. "The Lizzie McGuire Movie"

Lizzie McGuire Movie

Quite possibly one of the best Disney Channel movies of all time, "The Lizzie McGuire Movie" follows the titular heroine as she heads to Rome for her school trip. Once there, Lizzie finds that people are mistaking her for an Italian pop star, Isabella. In order to preserve the absent Isabella's reputation, Lizzie is recruited by the second person in Isabella's singing duo, Paolo. Set in the Eternal City, "The Lizzie McGuire Movie" will have you laughing along with Lizzie's misadventures right as they happen.

6. "A Royal Night Out"

A Royal Night Out

If you're an avid follower of programs like "The Crown" or love British royalty in general, then "A Royal Night Out" is the perfect movie for a fun summer night. Inspired by a true story, "A Royal Night Out" follows then-Princess Elizabeth and her younger sister, Princess Margaret, on V-E Day as they celebrate in the streets with the people. But when Elizabeth and Margaret get separated in the celebrations, Elizabeth must team up with a sarcastic and begrudging soldier named Jack to find her sister before they have to get home! Full of laughs, heartfelt moments, and upbeat swing music, "A Royal Night Out" is the perfect summer film!

7. "Jurassic World" and "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom"

Jurassic World: Fallen KingdomGiphy

If you're looking for a thrill, be sure to check out the "Jurassic World" films! Set in modern-day, the latest installments to the famous "Jurassic Park" franchise follows the events of the park's reincarnation, titular Jurassic World. In order to increase revenue, the scientists at the park develop a new dinosaur, the Indominus Rex. But when the Indominus breaks out of its habitat, it wages a killing spree on the park--and this time, there are more people on it than just a group of scientists. With a star-studded cast and thrilling moments, the "Jurassic World" movies are sure to make for a great summer movie night!

8. "The Parent Trap"

The Parent Trap

Nothing says summer like summer camp, and that is exactly the case in this beloved classic, "The Parent Trap". A staple of our childhoods, "The Parent Trap" follows twins Annie and Hallie after their parents have separated, raising them in England and California respectively without knowledge that the other exists... until they cross paths during summer camp. Annie and Hallie then create a plan to switch lives in an attempt to bring their parents together, but only if they don't get caught.

9. "Starstruck"

Starstruck GIF

Say what you want, but "Starstruck" is one of the best Disney Channel Original Movies of all time, if not the best of all time. "Starstruck" follows the story of teenager Jessica, who, while on a vacation to Los Angeles, crosses paths with her least favorite celebrity, Chris Wilde. In order to keep the secret from Jessica's fangirl of an older sister and Chris' league of paparazzi, Jessica and Chris team up on a series of shenanigans across Los Angeles. Full of that Disney Channel cheesiness we all secretly love, as well as gems of comedy and great songs, "Starstruck" will have you longing for the sunshine.

10. "A Cinderella Story"

A Cinderella Story

Okay, I know what you're thinking. "A Cinderella Story" isn't set during the summer, it's set in the fall, but it is set in Southern California, so in my book, that counts. For those in the know, the movie is a classic romantic comedy that we all wish we could emulate in our own lives. For those not in the know, have no fear. "A Cinderella Story" follows Sam Montgomery, an orphaned girl who longs to attend Princeton University and escape her stepmother. When Sam's pen pal, a mysteriously romantic boy from her school who goes by the screen name 'Nomad', asks to finally meet her at the Halloween dance, Sam does, and finds herself on a whirlwind adventure when her Prince Charming begins wondering who his Cinderella is.

What's your favorite summery movie?