"Summer Break" Is No Longer A Thing

"Summer Break" Is No Longer A Thing

Growing up isn't as great as it always seemed.

219
"Summer Break" Is No Longer A Thing
weareteachers.com

There comes a point in your life where you realize summer vacation is no longer a thing. What I mean by that, is you no longer have long summer days and nights of hanging out with friends and just having fun. For some, it happens after college, you enter the real world and get a real job where you no longer have off for an entire summer. If you're like me, it happens after your first year of college.

After your first year you realize how broke you were the entire year and never want to have to go through it again. (Newsflash: you’ll always have to deal with it.) So your summer consists of working long hours all week, and possibly having your weekends. There’s no more laying by the pool all day, roaming the streets looking for things to do. Nope. Work. It’s not all that bad though, think back to the days where you were so bored in the summers and had nothing to do, at least now you can miserably go to work and get paid for it.

Then there’s those whose summers consists of more school. Back before college you just had to finish out the year and you were golden. Now, college, it’s all on you. Whether or not you have the correct amount of credits, the best grades, and all the correct courses depends on you and whether or not you can correctly “college.” For most, no one has it 100% down. So that means taking summer courses to graduate on time. So the relief you would feel after finally getting through finals and being done, are a distant thing of the past. About two weeks after finishing your finals, you could be jumping right into another course from hell.

Hearing young kids talk about wanting to grow up for all the dumb reasons makes us cringe, they don't realize the little things that they’ll miss. We envy you. Once you reach this point there’s really no going back to having those multiple month long breaks to just be able to relax. It shortens down to a couple weeks at most. So whether your summers now are filled with work or more school than wanted, those summer breaks we were all so used to are no longer a thing. We now must accept our “adulting” responsibilities and try to make the best of the summers as much as possible.