12 Things College Students Think Over The Summer

Summer is the only thing that college students are more indecisive over than their major.

18
Breanna Vogel

Summer is one of the most anticipated seasons for most people, but especially college students. They can't wait to be done with finals and to be able to have so much extra time on their hands. It turns out that all the cool things they thought they would do over the summer get replaced by working so that they can afford to pay their tuition in the fall. Some students are lucky and have a couple months without lectures and homework, but some decide to take summer classes. The chances are that if you are home for the summer from college, you have had a couple of these thoughts.

1. Freedom!

Now that you are done with classes and do not have to spend all your extra time studying, you are free! You will have so much time to hang out with all your friends and to go on all sorts of cool adventures. But, it turns out that you don't get freedom in the adult world and you have to work a lot, or take a lot of summer classes.

2. I am going to have so much time, what do I do?!

You cannot decide what to do with all the free time you think you are going to have. You can visit all your friends, discover new places, read all the books you've been wanting to read, and catch up on all your favorite shows on Netflix.

3. I can hang out with all my old friends!

It has been forever since the whole clan has been together! You are so excited that everyone can get back together and go tear up your old stomping grounds. Then you realize when you are there that you may be the oldest "kids" there.

4. Wait, I should probably work so I can pay my tuition.

Then, reality finally hits you that you are going to have thousands of dollars to pay in a couple of months. So you call up your old job and start working as soon as you get home, along with another job. Those late-night study sessions turn into late nights working double shifts and working at your second job.

5. Since I am working all the time, I should actually have money for once.

For the amount of time you spend at work you should be a millionaire, at least that is what it feels like. But really, you are broke because all your money goes to paying off your students loans, paying for a new car, and saving up for the next semester at college.

6. I am going to work out so I look hot when I get back to school.

You have every intention of working out so you can get that summer body and impress all your friends with your hot new bod when you get back to school in the fall. But really, you spend more time in bed, watching Netflix and stuffing your face. Waking up at 5 a.m. is replaced with staying up till midnight, binge watching shows and then sleeping in the next morning.

7. What can I binge watch next?

You finally have time to watch all your favorite shows and movies on Netflix. But, you've already watched Grey's, Orange is the New Black, and One Tree Hill, so now what? You have to poll all your friends to figure out the best shows to watch when you want to forget about your adult responsibilities.

8. I am so bored.

You thought you would love not having to go to class and not having to do so much homework, but it turns out that you are bored out of your mind because the only thing you have to do is work, sleep, and take summer classes. All your friends are busy working, and it turns out that you haven't crossed a single thing off your bucket list yet.

9. Why did I ever think taking summer classes was a good idea?

You might have taken summer classes thinking that they would be easy and you could knock out a few credits while working. It turns out that cramming sixteen weeks of material into five weeks is one of the worst things you will ever do. All your free time is spent reading text books, writing discussion posts, and reviewing papers.

10. Why is it so hot outside?

Remember in the middle of the winter when we were all wishing for sun and warmer weather? Now that it is here the only thing that we want is rain so it cools down and the humidity is not as bad. You just wanted to spend your days outside soaking up the sun, but now you stay in the air-conditioning so that you don't sweat instantly when you walk outside.

11. I miss all my college buddies.

You truly find your best friends at college and its unfortunate that everyone lives hours and states away. You miss all the adventures and the late nights eating pizza during a movie marathon. Since everyone is working so much, you cannot possibly visit them all during the summer.

12. Only 53 days until all my friends and I are back at school!!

Let's get real: you have been counting down since the day you moved back home. You cannot wait until the day that all your friends are back at school so that you guys can make new memories and go on new adventures. College has become your home, so being away kinda sucks.

Every summer you make all these plans, but it turns out most of them do not become a reality. The truth is that college summers are nothing like they were when you were in high school, and each summer is a year you are closer to not having a summer anymore. I can't wait to see you soon friends!