Why Its Okay To Not Go Back To Your Hometown For The Summer
Seasonal

What you need this break is the right way to spend it.

94
Sarah Mason

As the week of finals ends every college student begins to feel this sense of relief. It's the time of year that the sun is shining and outside adventures begin. Plans laying by the water with a cool drink begin to come true.

But for many students that are just ready to enjoy a very much deserved break, there's an overshadowing pressure. A pressure to spend summer, not in the college town that's become important to you, but to spend all your time in the hometown hours away.

Torn between your homesickness and the home you once lived and the new home you've finally settled into. But what's the right answer to how much time is spent in your hometown this summer.

Simply there is no clear answer. Each of us needs mentally, emotionally, and physically something different this summer break. Maybe weekends, one week, or the whole time is what you, personally need to enjoy this time off. But I encourage you to really think about what you need, and not feel pressured to do anything.

Invite your family to spend time with you in this new world of yours. Ask your friends from home to come to visit and meet your friends here in college. The road runs both ways, and if they love you they will spend time with you.

Your friends, job, and life you've built since you moved to college shouldn't have to be put on hold every summer. Never let yourself feel like you have to live a double life just to keep others happy.

But never forget there are more options out there. Those who care about you will understand that you need to refresh from school is an important aspect for your health.

Going home this summer would be great! But if you need to just chill at your apartment to be able to mentally refresh from the year then go for it! If you want to spend your summer back in the town you love with your friends and family you have missed so dearly, then awesome!

This is your summer. Take ahold of it. Use it for fun adventures, long laughs, unforgettable memories, and most importantly a much-deserved break.