I was finally able to really get out of the house after coming home from college to do something fun. Saturday I went to the beach, a new beach that'd I'd never been to before, and it was such a great and relaxing day. Just what I needed to really kick off my summer with friends!
But, behind all that excitement for summer trips and vacations, comes the insecurities for beach and pool wear. Bikinis, some girls hate them and others love them. I for one have never minded wearing a cute bikini to the beach, but things change and Saturday was a little different.
The way I've seen my body recently hasn't been so positive. I really let go of my motivation to stay active and fit, and this is the product, major insecurity. College was a crazy time where I had to prioritize my activities, and going to the gym was not one of them.
In the result of that, my body image had gone down, I'd look in the mirror and see all the slight changes that had occurred. I was not happy with the way my body looks in a bikini, because it was different.
Leading up to summer you hear all the time, "I have to get my summer body ready," and it's almost like this immense pressure to look perfect for that bikini you will eventually put on. It's like this rule of summer, have a perfect body, whatever that actually means.
I had to look past those standards and societal views and accept how I look, for all its beauty.
It took some time for me to really accept my body how it is and learn to love me for how I look. I won't lie, sometimes those insecurities creep back in, but I shut them down by reminding myself that I am worth every positive thought I can come up with.
I grew up surrounded by the stereotypical girls with perfect bodies and skinny waists, and that societal body standard has been around since I can remember. I realized that my body wasn't that "perfect" slim and toned body, and I had to learn to be OK with that.
I heard a line from someone close to me at school once, and they said "every body is a summer body" and that really stuck with me. I find myself repeating it almost every day.
I don't need to have a perfectly toned, tan body for it to be a summer body. There is no perfect image of a summer body anyway, and who's to judge which body is a summer body? No one can tell you how to look, because you're perfect just the way you are.
Loving your body for the way it looks is the best thing you can possibly do this summer. So look at those insecurities and turn them into something positive. I had started by pinpointing the parts of my body that I wasn't happy with, and learning to love them.
My body is me, and I appreciate every second I get to live in it, and I love it.
I turned those negative mental comments into a positive outlook on my body, and it has boosted my confidence, my self-image, and I am happier with the way I look.
It's not something that can happen overnight, but repeat those positive comments to yourself, make a habit of saying at least 3 great things about yourself each day. If you create positivity, it will consume your thoughts and there will be no room for negativity.
Insecurities are a hard thing to beat, it takes time and so much effort, but I did it, and I believe that everyone can do it because we all deserve some self-love and happiness. So, as you're getting ready for those beach trips and bikini times remember this...
Every body is a summer body because we are all beautiful in our own unique ways.
- The Role Society Plays In Body Image ›
- Body Image And The Mass Media ›
- 7 Ways To Deal When You Have That 'Bad Body Image' Day ›
- It's Not Alright That Snapchat Alters Our Body Image ›
- Society And Its Ideal Body Image ›
- A Christian's Perspective On Negative Body Image ›
- What body image feels like ›
- Body Image vs. Society ›
- To The Girl Struggling With Her Body Image ›
- Why Stressing Over A Summer Body Is A Waste Of Time ›
- Sunscreen Is Just As Important For Your Summer Body As Going To ... ›
- 19 Thoughts You Have When 'Buff Cat' Has A Better Summer Body ... ›
- 6 Workouts To Get Your Dream Summer Body ›
- A Lazy Girls Guide To A Summer Body ›
- Believe Me, Torturing Yourself For The "Perfect Summer Bod" Isn't ... ›
- Summer body routine habits ›
- The Only Difference Between A Summer Body And Your Winter ... ›
- To The Girl Working On Her Summer Body ›
- Your Summer Body Is Perfect Already ›
- Body Image of Women ......Depression, Eating Disorders, Self-Esteem ›
- Body image and mental health | womenshealth.gov ›
- What is Body Image? ›
- Body Image • National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and ... ›
- Body Image and Self-Esteem (for Teens) - KidsHealth ›
- Body image - Wikipedia ›
- Body Image | Psychology Today ›
- Body Image | National Eating Disorders Association ›
- How To Get A Summer Body In Four Weeks | Coach ›
- Ways to get into great shape for summer ›
- How To Get A Summer Body | Rebecca Louise - YouTube ›
- 10 Habits That Will Get You the Summer Body of Your Dreams ... ›
- SUMMER BIKINI BODY WORKOUT | How to Get a Summer Body ... ›
- 7 Tips For A Fit Summer Body ›
- #summerbody hashtag on Instagram • Photos and Videos ›
- How to Get That Summer Body Without Doing Anything Drastic ›
- 30-Day Countdown to Your Best Summer Body ›