Suicide Prevention in College Students

Suicide Rates Are Rising And We Need To Talk About It

1 in 12 U.S. college students make a suicide plan

879
Anthony Louis Center- Pexels

It's no secret that our generation has a suicide epidemic on their hands, yet no one wants to talk about it. Mental Illness isn't taboo like it used to be with the generations before us, and we are becoming more open to discussing mental health but still shy away from the topic of suicide.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-24-year-olds and the highest rate of attempted suicide is between the ages of 18 and 25, nearly tripling the rates in 1950. Glancing at the age range, this is the prime time for searching and attending a college.

Obtaining a degree is a lot harder than it seems. Everyone talks about finding yourself once you go to college and in some cases that's true. Although, a lot of students don't feel that way. We get to a point where our grades come before anything else, even our mental health.

No one talks about feeling alone and hopeless, making those who have suicidal thoughts hesitant to reach out about it. We are told it's just something everyone goes through in college but that isn't the most comforting statement. Yes, a lot of students do go through a depressive period, but that doesn't make your pain any less valid.

In reality, depression has no type. Depression doesn't care if you're a college sophomore trying to make it through spring semester or a mother of three children. It doesn't care if you're an introvert or a student-athlete. Depression doesn't care. In America, 80 people take their own lives every day.

Those 80 people have no relation; all different sexes, races, religions, and sexual orientations. Of those 80 people, someone lost a mother, friend, cousin, boyfriend, sister, grandfather, or classmate. In the recent Netflix hit series, "13 Reasons Why" the show comes face to face with underlying problems that happen to students every day.

The pressure to be perfect, sexual assault, bullying and just simply finding who you are supposed to be. Although the series has received a lot of backlash for the graphic content, the important thing is people are talking about it. Although I don't agree with everything the show aired, the viewers are being exposed to the warning signs of someone wanting to take their own life and the steps they can take the ensure that it won't happen.

While suicide is something that can be uncomfortable to talk about, it would be a lot more uncomforting to lose a loved one knowing I could have done more.

If you are contemplating suicide or having suicidal thoughts call 1-800-GRAD-HLP or the National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255.