Logic's "1-800-273-8255" Is Erasing The Stigma Of Mental Health

"What's the day without a little night?"

659
L. Kent Wolgamott

This past weekend on August 27, the MTV Video Music Awards took place at The Forum in Inglewood, California. One of the things that this award show is known for is its live musical performances by all different types of artists from all around the world. This year debuted a performance that I feel is something very important to talk about and bring light to in today's society.

If you haven’t heard of the rapper Logic, you surely will know him now. His performance of his song “1-800-273-8255,” featuring Khalid and Alessia Cara at this year’s VMA’s is one of the most talked about acts that took place that night and in the show's history. What makes this song so special is that the name is actually the number to the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. During his performance, Logic brought out on stage several suicide survivors with shirts that had the number on the front and the phrase “You Are Not Alone” on the back. He also gave a short speech towards the end, thanking everyone for giving him this platform to talk about subjects that “mainstream media doesn’t want to talk about.”

This song and everything that Logic stands for, “peace, love, and positivity,” is something that I feel the world really needs to hear and learn from right now.

In one of Logic’s interviews prior to the performance, he describes what exactly is going on throughout the song and what the premise of it is. The song is basically a dialogue between the person that calls about wanting to commit suicide and the receiver for the hotline. Logic does a great job of painting the picture of what goes on inside of a suicidal person’s head, how the suicide prevention hotline can help and exemplify that if you feel this way, you are not alone.

The first verse is written from the perspective of the person that wants to end their life. It's eminent that Logic carefully chose his words to exemplify how serious this issue is and how someone in this situation is feeling. For example, he writes, “They say every life precious but nobody care about mine.” What I think is so important about Logic writing from a suicidal person’s perspective is the fact that he is in no way sugar coating the situation because, in reality, there is no way of dancing around this sort of heavy topic.

Following the first verse is the pre-chorus and chorus that institutes a little back and forth between the two people on the phone, which then leads right into the second verse. The lyrics that introduce the second verse are the response of the dispatcher on the other line. “You don’t gotta die, now let me tell you why.” The dispatcher then goes on to explain to the person wanting to kill themselves why they should stay alive. These lyrics are really where Logic is driving the song because compared to the first verse where he is trying to relate to people by saying that they aren’t alone, the second verse is where he shows the outcome and reasons for fighting for your life and why ending it all is not the solution.

One of the lyrics that I think needs to be highlighted is, “What’s the day without a little night? I’m just tryna shed a little light.” From the receiver’s viewpoint, they will say anything to stop this person from killing themselves but I think that this line, in particular, is such a realistic way of approaching mental health and suicide. Logic isn’t trying to make the person think that once they get off the phone with the hotline they will immediately feel better and life will be perfect because, unfortunately, that’s not how things work out. He uses the analogy of day and night to explain that life is a rollercoaster going up and down and at times you will feel down but there will always be light at the end. The sun is always encompassed by darkness at dusk but it still rises in the morning. This song is exactly the kind of message we should be spreading throughout our society in order to make talking about, what is considered a “taboo” topic, much easier.

I may be slightly biased, but I think Logic is one of the few artists in the industry currently that is truly trying to make a difference and better this world. He is using the voice and platform that he has obtained to spread the message of positivity and bring light to subjects that people should be focusing on. According to the Lifeline’s Director of Communications, after Logic’s performance, the number experienced a 50% increase in calls.

I think everyone can take a page out of Logic’s book. Use your voice and speak out because there may be people out there that are too afraid to stand up and you may be their only hope. The stigma of mental health has gone on for too long and it’s time we as people rise above it.

If you are like me and enjoy music with a message, I encourage you to listen to Logic’s new album titled “Everybody.” He discusses many other controversial topics while continuing to spread his initial message of peace, love, positivity, and equality. It will definitely change the way you look at things and spark up some new thoughts in your mind. Also, if you or someone you know is in need of help regarding mental health please do not hesitate to ask for support and assistance. Use the number listed above to contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.