Classes have begun at good old Grand Canyon University. Lopes up! With the beginning of each year comes a new group of freshmen to campus and here at GCU there are some things all incoming Lopes need to know if they are going to get the most out of their time here in the purple-painted valley.

1. Go to campus events

campus events https://www.flickr.com/photos/visitelpaso/24219178529

Even when you're tired. Even when none of your friends are going. Go. GCU has some awesome on-campus events and you won't want to miss out!

2. Wear purple

purple shirt

c2.staticflickr.com

Represent your school! You're a Lope now, don't be afraid to show it!

3. Go to chapel

chapel

upload.wikimedia.org

Chapel is the best. Whether you are getting credit for it or not, it's a great chance to gather together in worship with your school. And if you like chapel, check out The Gathering for more worship.

4. Find the farmer's markets

farmers market

c1.staticflickr.com

The best kept secret of GCU is the farmers markets. I can never figure out the schedule, but when a farmers market pops up, you HAVE to take advantage of it. Oftentimes they set up in front of The Grid and for $8 you can get a bag to try and fit as much produce as you can inside. Cheap fruits and veggies are a win.

5. Join a club (or 5)

club

c1.staticflickr.com

Get involved! Find a club centered on a topic you love and check it out! As a freshman, this is a great way to make friends and get to know your fellow students.

6. Check out the counseling center

counseling

c1.staticflickr.com

Many students deal with stress and anxiety in college. If you are struggling, don't hesitate to reach out to the GCU Counseling center. Sessions are free and very helpful for the struggling student. They also offer group classes and support groups!

7. Invest in good shoes

shoes

c1.staticflickr.com

Now that East campus is up and running (almost) that means you're probably walking more than ever. Invest in come comfy shoes because there is almost certainly more long walks in your future.

8. Do the readings

reading

c1.staticflickr.com

I know. They seem useless. They're not. Whether the professor discusses the readings in class or not, you paid for this class and most GCU classes include the online textbook free of charge, so take advantage of it and get your money's worth!

9. Learn to love LoudCloud

loudcloud https://www.pexels.com/photo/apple-check-computer-female-7079/

LoudCloud can be a real pain. They updated it this year and honestly, it's not better. Just take a deep breath. Everyone is confused, even your professor. Take comfort in knowing that no one knows what they're doing, so no one will be upset if you make a mistake.

10. Read your Bible

bible

c1.staticflickr.com

In the midst of all the life changes of Freshman year, don't forget to spend time with the One who brought you here in the first place. Even though we attend a Christian school, does not mean we can become lax with our spiritual life. God longs to have one-on-one time with us so I encourage you to spend that time with Him even when you're busy this year.

All in all, freshman year will be a blast and will go by faster than you can say "Lopes Up!" So take your time.