5 Genuinely Helpful Links That Have Helped Me, An Unmotivated College Student

Winter break is over for some, and nearly over for others!

59
huffpost.org

Ah, 'tis semester time again. First day of class approaches, and we who feel kinship with the title of this listicle are scrambling for the cheapest textbooks, begging friends for iClickers, if they don't need them...and studying how to study. Let me save you some time. I've searched far and wide, and tried more than most. Some advice is fluff ("Drink Water!" anyone?). However, some is genuinely helpful, and that is what I hope to share with you today, as a senior with some experience.

First, I'd like to start off by saying that this is not a list for the lazy. Despite what the title of this article might have led you to believe, I'm a serious student with some bad tendencies stemming from childhood, and I'm writing this for other serious students with similar problems. What I cannot help you with is a stubborn lack of willingness to at least try. In other words, it's not a bunch of links to help you cut corners you have no business cutting (i.e. websites that solves your math problems for you).

This may sound tough, but hear me out: If you do not want to be a good student more than you want to party (too much), complain, make excuses, watch TV, or surf the internet, then you will not be a good student. It is that simple.

And so, before I move on to the actual article, some advice: Make yourself want it.

In fact, I think some of the links I provide can help you with that.

1. James Maa's Productivity Hacking Guide

James Maa's Productivity Hacking Guide: If you are disorganized, forgetful, and struggle with willpower, read this. Sleep on what you've read. Now read it again. Implement what this intelligent, funny UC Berkeley student suggests, figure out what works for you, and this is key: keep doing it. Some of James Maa's advice was just too much for me. For example, he keeps track of how he spends his time during the week then reflects on it using Excel. No thanks!

However, I did do the scheduling thing (which you will find in your reading) and I highly recommend it.

2. Mateusz M Motivational Videos

Mateusz M Motivational Videos Chances are, you've seen one (or more) of these, and several of you are groaning. In truth, I can't blame you, and I don't really have an excuse for myself. But I am 100% sincere when I say that these saved my bum (the not-too-cheesy ones, anyway). Sometimes, you just need a powerful voice yelling "You can do it! Don't quit!" passionately, directly into your earhole. Often, these videos will contain the most inspiring scenes from awesome movies, too. I like Vision.

Brendon Burchard is a more practical, "put good habits into effect" motivational guy, if that's more your speed.

3. A Guide to Better Google Search Techniques

A Guide to Better Google Search Techniques If you are someone who rides the research, write, cite, print grind, this is some of the best time you'll ever invest into learning something. With the right knowledge, and enough practice, Google can be the intelligent, mind-reading companion you need to work smart, not hard. Seriously. Sit down, read this, and then do it.

4. Stay Focused

StayFocusd Listing this feels a little cheap, as James Maa actually does talk about this site/concept in his guide (read it) but, once again, this really has saved my bum. Also, I want to underline the importance of this idea:

If you are anything like me in this regard, you should really put a block on distracting sites for times when you're supposed to be studying. Don't go to bed after hours on IG, Tumblr, or whatever, defeated and guilty because you were supposed to be studying that whole time. This site gives you a plethora of ways to save you from yourself. You can simply limit the amount of time you're allowed to spend on your "problem" sites or give yourself certain hours you are (or aren't) allowed to visit them.

"Freedom" is the non-Chrome, non-laptop version.

5. An article: Knowledge is Power

Knowledge is power: why education mattersI highly recommend you read this. It's interesting. But if you don't want to, here's the summary:

When you are down, when you are hungover, when you have failed a test, when your $%&! is in your hand, you need to remember your why. Do you want to be in charge of your own lab? Do you want to find out if humans contributed to the extinction of mammoths? Do you want to start your own business? Work for Google? Cure Alzheimer's?

Education is important, and not just for making money. College is expensive and corrupt. I won't deny that. And I won't deny the fact that your reasons for being unmotivated and disenchanted with college have some foundation; we've been dealt a rough card, in more than one way. But education is a gift. Whatever ridiculous amount of money you pay for it, you are lucky to have it.

Do you think I'm being dramatic? Do you think I'm being too serious?

Read the Wikipedia of Malala Yousafzai. She was shot in the head for her passion for learning, and her belief that everyone deserves an education. Education is literally a matter of life and death.

Thus, this listing was a bit sneaky. It's only so much an online resource, but it's more of a reminder: bookmark links that remind you of your "why" when you feel you can't read one more chapter, write one more world, or solve one more equation.

Work hard. Take care of yourself. You've got this.

I hope this helped. Happy studies!