A Goodbye Letter To My Classmates

A Goodbye Letter To My Classmates

It's been a fun journey, but now it's time to go our separate ways.

37499
A Goodbye Letter To My Classmates
Emily Branstetter

To all of my classmates,

Wow. We did it. Some of us…eh…close call; I would have lost that bet! But we did it. It’s here. It’s about time to graduate high school. I’m still kind of in disbelief myself, I mean, it feels like yesterday we were all wearing Abercrombie graphic tees and jamming to Hannah Montana and The Jo Bros on the bus ride home. I can’t believe it’s been 12 years, I really can’t believe most of us have gone to school together for that long either. I just…it feels weird that next year we won’t all be together.

In less than a month were going to eat our last ever crappy high school lunch, put in our last ever high school locker combination, take our last ever high school final, and take one last look at the high school halls we’ve walked for 720 days. In less than a month, were going to walk across a stage, look out in the crowd and see the same faces we’ve seen since we were in kindergarten: that boy you had a crush on in third grade, the girl that made fun of you for not wearing Abercrombie in fifth grade, the kid who you were blessed to sit by in freshman biology (because without his...”help” you wouldn’t have passed), the first boy who ever broke your heart, the best friend who helped you get over him, and that one kid you forgot even went here. You’ll look out to see the people who helped make you who you are. You’ll remember all the laughs you shared, the arguments you’ve had, and the “group” projects you did by yourself. You’ll look at your parents who are just thankful you made it, the underclassmen that envy you for being done, and that one administrator that made you wear sweatpants because your skirt was too short. It’s true that time flies when you’re having fun. It’s true that high school goes by in the blink of an eye. Part of me wishes I could have a little more time with all of you guys; just one more laugh together as we see the questions on the reading quiz we didn’t read for, one more discussion about how Mr. Mac is actually Bradly Cooper, and one more “Wait, is that due today?” as we walk into class.

There’s no doubt that college is going to be different than high school, but it’s time for us to go. I won’t lie, even though I’m excited as hell; I’m nervous as hell too. I think we all are… I think it’s natural to be. But, before we go our separate ways, I hope you all to know how much you truly mean to me and the memories we’ve made will last forever. I’ll never forget the Friday nights we spent under the lights, dressed in ridiculous costumes, cheering on our boys, or the Saturday nights we spent at bonfires doing Lord knows what. I’ll never forget waking up Sunday mornings wishing it was still Saturday night, and of course, I’ll never forget the only good thing about Monday's; planning it all again.

I just want to say thank you to you all, you’ve truly made my time here in high school special. It’s with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes that I say goodbye. I’ll miss you guys, and if you ever find yourself in the Bloomington area make sure you let me know!

Love,

Your classmate