10 Reasons Why I Didn't Study Abroad And Am Okay With It

No one really sees the world in one semester of college.

494
Brooke Miccio

The number of times I have had to sit through a presentation where one person attempts to convince an entire room of broke college students to invest in a $1,000+ trip is kind of ridiculous. I get it, I know studying abroad will look great on my resume, I know that the price is actually a "steal" and that I will never be the same person when I return. So, as an almost-to-be college senior, why didn't I do it?

1. I have had my passport since the age of five.

Yup, that's right. When most of your family lives on the other side of the world, it's pretty normal. I am not a stranger to visiting foreign lands, so it's not like studying abroad would be my first time leaving the country.

2. I traveled to Germany by myself when I was only 16.

Thanks to my mom's job, I was able to participate in an exchange program the summer right before my senior year in high school. I hopped on a plane, literally all by myself, and met what I like to call my 'German' family, who I am still close with to this day. That's right, I traveled to Europe before it became a millennial trend.

3. I already took most of the classes that were offered.

Since most universities realize that the cost is the main thing that sets most students back, they try to make sure students will be able to meet the other requirements. One of these is making sure that there are a wide variety of classes available. At my school, there are dozens of programs, but most of them usually offer general education classes and maybe one or two major classes. I am aware that this does vary by the program, however, when you are finishing up your third year of college, chances are you have probably already taken the general ed classes they are offering. Yes, there may be a couple of major classes, but is it really worth paying extra just to take those? That's the decision you have to make for yourself.

4. It was cheaper for me to plan my own two-month trip.

I know you're thinking, "What, there is no way that is possible!" But when you have family and friends in Europe, that lowers/gets rid of the cost of accommodations. The biggest cost is the plane ticket, but you can still find deals or sign up for a credit card that earns you sky miles.

5. I've already fulfilled my dream of riding in a Fiat throughout Europe.

Yes, it's a silly dream, but it's one of mine. When I started telling my friends and family, "This time next year I will be riding in a Fiat through Europe," they just laughed; which gave me even more motivation to make it happen. Ta-da!

SEE ALSO: Don't Date The Girl Who Travels

6. I don't want to rush.

That may sound cliche, and people may argue with me and say that living in one city for two months is by no means "rushing your visit." I just happen to think differently; a few months spent in one place just isn't enough for me. I'm really big on immersing myself in the culture and if I'm literally going to be 'studying' in this place, then I'd stay for at least a year.

7. It wouldn't be my first time doing the whole "Eat, Pray, Love" thing.

Or, "eat a lot of pasta, drink lots of alcohol, fall in love with Pablo" thing for those of you who studied abroad in Italy. I'm only kidding! But seriously- there is no doubt that traveling gives you a good chunk of time to do a little bit of soul searching. In my case, I feel that I've experienced a lot of those omg-I'm-in-a-different-country-for-the-first-time-I'm-learning-so-much-about-myself feelings already.

8. I've already tasted the heaven that is otherwise known as Kinder Bueno ice cream.

Okay, this is probably a good reason to go back, BUT I'm content knowing that I have had a chance to try it during my lifetime. It's just SO GOOD (I hope someone out there gets me on this one).

9. I crave the freedom to decide exactly which places I want to go to.

Maybe I want to go to Iceland and then spend the weekend in Amsterdam, oh and maybe go to Paris, too? It's not like you can't take small trips within your study abroad program, but all I'm saying is that it'll be hard to find a program that includes Sweden and Greece in the same month.

10. I realized that I was capable of traveling wherever the hell I wanted, and it didn't have to be 'for school.'

Just because you didn't travel anywhere in college doesn't mean you aren't going to travel anywhere for the rest of your life. Don't be discouraged, the point of this article is to show you that it really is okay. Believe me, if you want to get out there, and you don't let anything (or anyone) get in your way, you can do it. Just don't wait too long, who knows what kind of obligations you will have in the future that will tie you down to one place.