Get through and All-Nighter

How To Survive An All Nighter

Confront the Inescapable

64
How To Survive An All Nighter

We are right on the cusp of a new school year, and with that brings new classes, old habits, and a whole lotta work. While there is a lot to look forward to in returning to our beloved university, we all hold not so fond memories of the struggles of test season. Even the most disciplined student may find their sleep schedule totally out of whack when certain classes call for more time than you have in a single day. Many of us refer to the hallowed halls of our library as "Club Libs," a name possibly built out of the resigned delusion that this tends to be a more social space than any organization on campus. I've spent countless hours and several sleepless nights in the confines of our wonderful Woodruff, which has led me to pick up a few tips on how to recuperate from these binge nights.

All-nighters are quite common, and for some students inevitable, so it's important to do the best you can to maximize your performance and speed up recovery.

Tip 1: Gear Up!

soldier rappellingAdrian McKnight

When many people get hungry, they hurry to Peet's to grab a quick snack. Of course, there is a limited selection at this coffee shop, and most of the food is overpriced. Be sure to bring your own necessary treats from home! If you're feeling healthy, this could be a bag of mixed nuts. If you're feeling like sugar is the answer, a bag of Oreos has never done me wrong. Be sure to have something on hand with plenty of water to hydrate in between the caffeine that's charging you up.

​Tip 2: Drink Coffee Sparingly

Some people think that five cups of java is the only way to push them through their ten-page essay when sometimes that's not all that necessary. The coffee can leave you jilted on the next day, messing up your future performance. Drink the amount needed to help you push through, but don't mindlessly consume. Keep in mind that coffee is not the only option either. Black tea and green tea can be great alternatives for those, like myself, that aren't huge coffee fans

​Tip 3: Choose your Study Spaces Wisely

While many people enjoy the first floor of the library for group work, it's not necessarily the best for studying. Areas where people are allowed to speak freely tend to have a higher volume. This could be good for a quick respite from hardcore studying but this may not be the best for longterm work. That being said, it can also be extremely difficult being cooped up in the stacks for long periods of time. It can be nice to switch locations every three hours or so, just to give your mind something fresh. This helps me stay somewhat alert and switch up the monotony of my study routine.

​Tip 4: After the All Nighter

After an all-nighter, you will probably still have class the next day. If it's a morning class, bring the best caffeine you can find. If you have more time, get the sleep in while you can, eat as healthy of a meal as possible and get on with your day. As soon as classes are over, get some sleep! I usually end up making up for lost time, but if I attempt to return to my usual schedule it won't be enough. Give your body extra care with good sleep and good food. Don't neglect this as it will help you persist through any post-study sickness and hopefully remedy any stress breakouts.

My Top 5 Supplies:

c1.staticflickr.com

1. Cleansing Wipes (good to cleanse your face when you don't have time for a full routine)
  2. Lip Balm (lots of caffeine and salty snacks may leave your lips annoyingly dry and chapped)
  3. Blanket (in case you need to take a quick nap from studying, a blanket provides exponential comfort)
  4. Gum (chewing gives me presence)
  5. Will to Live (don't lose this!)