Here's How To Study Smarter, Not Harder

Here's How to Study Smarter, Not Harder

Study less and FINALly ace those finals. Here are four tactics to help you be an efficient studier.

97
Here's How to Study Smarter, Not Harder
Madison Fox

Unmotivated, exhausted, stressed... you're probably stress eating right now (it's ok, me too). Assignments and study guides are piling up, so let's change that.

First and foremost, it is imperative that you understand one key concept: If you want different results, you have to do something different. A part of you wants a 4.0, but a part of you also loves Rick and Morty. Recognize that you need to change your habits to reach that goal. Yes, it sounds terrible, but I have you covered. Here are four tactics to help you study efficiently, possibly improve your academic standing, and free up your time to binge watch that favorite show.

1. FOCUS. Take away distractions. Remember: out of sight, out of mind.

How often do you grab for your phone when you're studying? How much time do you actually spend studying with your *study group that is actually a social hang out.* Identify that one thing that distracts you and eliminate it. Put your phone on the opposite side of the room or study alone if need be. Limiting your distractions is the best way to efficiently accomplish what needs to be done and get back wasted time. Take that phone and put is somewhere you don't see it... when you're done with this article, of course.

2. Work on your weaknesses, not your strengths.

Studying is less overwhelming when you divide and conquer. Take your notes and highlight the things you don't know and focus on those concepts alone. Find study tools that will deepen your understanding on those ideas. Creating visual aids or using quizlet.com has helped not only improve my performance on exams, but truly learn and remember the material. Again, you are studying smarter and in a shorter amount of time when giving your focus to difficult material. Trust and be confident in your abilities.

3. Manage your time; don't waste your precious minutes!

It's similar to the phrase "every penny counts." In college, every minute counts. The 15 minute bus ride, the 20 minutes of phone time in bed, and the hour long lunch that could've been a half hour... these minutes add up. When you're in grind mode, use these minutes to your advantage and make them productive. You will not only be surprised by the time you have freed, but you'll feel prepared for your test sooner rather than later.

4. When you lack motivation, remind yourself why you started in the first place.

Be nice to yourself! I can't express this enough. It is okay to not be motivated, but in those moments remember why it is you have that goal. Make a list of why you are in college, why you are studying the major you are, and all that will be of benefit to you when you learn that subject and ace those finals. Becoming motivated will increase your interest in success and lead you to study efficiently.

Don't just ponder on changing because you can make it happen. After the grind, a period of relaxation should always follow. Work hard now and wait for the results to roll in. You got this!