when you're a college student that goes on vacation

I'm Literally Going Places And I've Never Been Happier

I may not have known where in the heck Chincoteague was before this trip, but its been amazing and definitely a change of scenery from the hustle and bustle of my life back home. Even if I'm not too sure if I'll be coming back. *awkward laughs*

120

As I write this article, I'm laying in the bed in the hotel room I'm sharing with my family. This hotel just so happens to be in Chincoteague, Virginia, which if you've never heard of, is basically the sister island to Assateague and home to wild ponies and other amazing animals. We're here on the suggestion of my mom's boss and to be honest, it has not been the most exciting vacation we've ever been on. But, that doesn't mean I haven't had fun. It's been a good time, being able to get away from the hustle and bustle of New Jersey and my family has bonded over good food and stunning views.

Right now, we (and by we, I mean just my mom) are packing up all of the extra clothes that were packed into the duffle bags and anything else we thought might be useful and/or entertaining. We're leaving in the morning, right after breakfast, and while there wasn't much to do in Chincoteague, it was a nice experience. Here's why:

The view from the balcony

Our hotel room had a small balcony facing outwards toward whatever body of water was surrounding the building. There you could look out into the distance to see the bridge/highway busy with cars. But, that was pretty much the only thing in sight, other than a house or two. Other than that, it was all nature. The view was definitely at its best during when the sun set, but you could also see over people enjoying themselves on the patio and a few animals. The most exciting part had to be this morning when we were able to witness a pod of dolphins just minding their business and swimming along. The view proved to be peaceful and relaxing, and while the bugs definitely were a con, it was a great place to sit and enjoy yourself for tens of minutes at a time.

The fauna (aka animals)

Like I said, this entire trip was based on the recommendation of my mom's boss. She talked about the wild ponies that roam about the island, grazing and simply enjoying the sun. While they were not close enough to get any photos, we were lucky enough to see them from a distance, which I honestly think is better. We did not have to disturb them in their natural habitat, but at the same time, we were able to enjoy something very special that only Chincoteague and Assateague can offer. Even though birds are not my favorite, I'm going to assume that these islands have a few amazing ones based on how many bird watchers we saw. And again the dolphins have to be mentioned, especially when you consider the fact that it was probably the closest I've ever been to the creatures. Ever. (Although it is on my bucket list to swim with dolphins!)

The usual trips to the beach

Although this is something we do back home, I feel like a trip or two to the beach anywhere is absolutely necessary. Whether or not you actually go into the water is on you, but you should at least be able to feel the sand between your toes and the sun on your skin. I was even fortunate enough to get a pretty good tan without getting a sunburn, unlike the rest of my family. *cheesy smile* But, other than that the water was so clear you could see your feet at the bottom. It was pretty cool to see how this beach, the Assateague Island National Shoreline in case you were wondering, was very similar to Point Pleasant, but at the same time so different.

The (albeit repetitive) food

Considering the fact that these islands are surrounded by water, there are a ton of seafood restaurants. And guess what? They all basically serve the same thing. There are the usual steamed crab and crab legs, fried shrimp (both breaded and coconut), fish, oysters, clams, you name it they probably have it. However, like I said, it gets a little repetitive. Don't get me wrong the food was absolutely delicious, but it's kind of easy to get tired of. Even my mom, who loves crabs with practically her entire being, didn't want to eat anymore by dinner time tonight. We all wanted a change, but this area doesn't have what we usually look for. Although I will admit, the free breakfast our hotel had to offer made up for a lot of it. I mean, they had a mini waffle maker and smoothies! Nothing gets better than that.

So, this trip had its ups and downs. But overall, it was a pretty good experience, even if I'm not too sure if I'll be coming back. *awkward laughs* I absolutely love getting to travel, whether it be with my family or with friends, as I get to experience life and culture that is different from our New Jersey ways. Talking about it with others is even better as I get to understand how all of our experiences differ from person to person, another reason why I enjoy sharing my travels here on Odyssey.

With love, Arielle :)