How To Get Rid Of Acne

One of the worst things about being a girl in this society is that you are under a constant microscope. What you wear, what you do, and most importantly, what you look like are under constant surveillance by those around you.

That being said, waking up with pimples or marks on your face can prove to be detrimental to your self-esteem. One pimple is manageable, but when you suddenly find yourself developing severe acne all over your face, it's easy to get upset and feel like the whole world is staring.

I grew up with very clear and manageable skin. I didn't even need to wash my face growing up, and I had no issues. Then, senior year of high school came around and it was time to head off to college. Upon arriving at school 800 miles from home, my skin was NOT happy.

I began to develop acne all over my face, something I had never dealt with before. I had no idea what products to use or what to do to fix it. It became so bad that makeup didn't even help me, it only covered the redness, but not the texture of these newfound bumps.

I tried scrubs, washes, exfoliants, serums, you name it. Nothing worked. I even tried a vegetarian diet, which only seemed to worsen my situation. I had not changed anything about my diet or skin care prior to leaving home, so I don't know why I thought any of these solutions would work. I was doing the same things I was always doing, yet my skin reacted as if something had changed.

Then I realized – something had changed. I was in a new state, a new environment, filled with the stress of college and meeting new people. That had to be it. That had to be why my skin was freaking out.

I ended up transferring back home after one semester, and it took MONTHS for my skin to go back to being somewhat normal. I am still struggling with acne today, but it's much less severe than it was at this time last year. But I do understand what people with consistent acne deal with, especially girls. Imagine it being your first time away from home, and you're feeling more insecure than you've ever felt in your entire life. I was dealing with a lot at that time, and my skin surely showed it.

I know what it's like to feel like you've tried everything and nothing works. To hear miracle stories of certain skin care and have it do absolutely nothing for you. To feel like you have nowhere to turn.

But in the end, looks are not in any way a reflection of who you are inside. It may seem like the end of the world at times, but acne does not change who you are. All you can do is stay positive and keep your head up. One day, you and your cleared-up skin will look back and laugh at how obsessive you were about your acne. You will get through it, and you will find your solution.