Struggling Through Sobriety On Campus

Struggling Through Sobriety On Campus

Staying true to yourself during the beginning stages of college.

77
Struggling Through Sobriety On Campus
wheelzdelivery.ca

52 days into college, and I am still sober.

I know what you're thinking: "Yeah, right, and Donald Trump is going to make a great president! Keep the jokes coming, Zoeb!" Or, if you're not overly sarcastic like I am: "I find that very hard to believe." And I don't blame you. We've grown up in a country where college culture is rooted in underage drinking and partying, where the social scene is defined by bottles of champagne, gallon-size kegs of beer, and, my personal favorite, flaming shots. Even throughout high school, there were certain kids who drank fully and freely, without abandon.

I didn't understand the excitement at first. Wasn't I taught from a young age, as a fundamental part of Islam, that alcohol was simply poison coursing through the veins, that it was haram, forbidden? Wasn't it just a pathetic excuse for college students to "get hammered"? That mindset, coupled with the fact that I could not drink, left me nervous, confused, and ultimately alone during the first couple weeks of college. I knew coming in that Penn was famous for its "work hard play hard" mentality, but nothing prepares you for trying, and failing, to be a part of a group in which you clearly don't belong.

Still, I tried. After tagging along with others to get the ratio up(yes, ratios are a thing), I went to a couple of frat parties. It was amusing at first to see people drunkenly laughing and stumbling around, unable to stand straight for more than three seconds. I quickly realized, though, that having a good time didn't mean meeting and interacting with new people, but rather drinking, dancing, and occasionally making a complete fool out of yourself. It just wasn't the social scene I was used to, and I found myself actually debating whether or not I should compromise my morals to make a few friends.

As I look back on those weeks, I take pride in knowing that I went out of my comfort zone and engaged with others in a different atmosphere. And after becoming more socially active, I can't believe I ever thought of succumbing to alcohol and opposing a crucial part of my religion. Refusing to drink has definitely made college more difficult, but I appreciate the relationships I've made and the experiences I've had all the more because of it. My sobriety has become a talisman, defining who I am and guiding me through the obstacles I've faced thus far. And yes, some people do have a look of disbelief on their faces when I tell them, but many others harbor great respect and admiration for my decision. I may not be part of the social norm, but I am definitely accepted for what I believe in, and that's all I can ask for.

I guess the worst part of all this is that I won't have any outrageous, drunk party stories to tell my friends back home.

But hey, 18 years sober. I guess that's the best story of all.