13 Things That Happen When You Have Siblings Way Older Than You

There are just some things close-aged siblings would never understand.

458
Katherine Jones

I always love telling people I have older brothers. Not just because it's my go-to fun fact about me, but because I love seeing people's reactions when I tell them how much older they all are than me.

The age gaps between me and my brothers are 18 years, 14 years, and then eight years apart. Growing up in a house full of older children, I experienced many different memorable moments than my friends who had siblings closer in age to them. Here are just a few:

Everyone mistakes your sibling for you parent.

Going to the mall? Be prepared to tell people "No, that's my brother/sister" when they ask you how you're enjoying your shopping day with mom and dad.

People may have even mistaken your sibling for your S.O. 

My reaction every time this happens.

Okay, this has only happened a few times, BUT it's the most awkward encounter in the world. My personal favorite is when you are at dinner with your parents and one of your older siblings and they ask the dreaded question: "One check, or two?"

You know how to entertain yourself for hours. 

No one ever wanted to play with you when you were younger because you were too young to do whatever your siblings wanted to do, so you had to figure out something. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent playing teacher in my room by myself.

At times, it's like you're an only child. 

By the time I was in high school, most of my brothers were either moved out or were never home, so it was always just me and my parents. While it was nice to have a quiet house, it became extremely boring!

Disney movies were never watched. 

I just wanted to be in the Disney loop...

This may just have been me since I was in a house full of boys, but very rarely did I ever watch a Disney movie. The "Toy Story" movies were an exception, though. Princesses? Forget about it.

People's reactions when you tell them how much older your sibling is can be a bit dramatic. 

Listen, you don't have to drop your mouth to the floor like this is unheard of. Calm down. My favorite reaction is the long blink followed by a confused look.

You became an aunt or uncle very early in life. 

This is honestly the best part! You now have that younger sibling you've always wanted; that is, if you don't have one already.

You're a go-to babysitter for said nieces and nephews. 

Again, who needs a babysitter when you have a fun, energetic aunt/uncle who will gladly drop everything they are doing just to watch their nieces or nephews?!

The title of "cool aunt/uncle" automatically goes to you because you are so young. 

Just replace "mom" with "aunt/uncle".

Let me tell you, I will be like Regina George's mother to my nieces and nephews.

When there's a new trend, you're the person your sibling goes to to "keep them in the loop".

This may be cringe-y for some, but personally, I find it hilarious. What's that? You saw a new meme you don't understand? I'm here to help.

Chances are, you are mostly friends with people who are older than you. 

You grew up around adults, so kids your age always seemed annoying or immature. You can't help it!

Your favorite TV shows and movies from your childhood are way different than others your age. 

This is how cool I felt every time I told someone my favorite movie was "Austin Powers: Goldmember."

When I was four, my favorite movie was "Austin Powers: Goldmember," and my favorite TV show to watch with my brothers was whatever Comedy Central special they were watching that night. Both I should have not been watching at that young of an age, but oh well.

You may wish for siblings closer in age, but you would not want it any other way. 

My brothers are the guy on the left and I'm the guy on the right.

Without my older brothers, I definitely would not be the person I am today.

Although I have experienced sibling related situations much different than those around me, I would not have wanted to trade it for the world!