Struggles Of People Who Spell Their Names In A Unique Way

You’ve never been able to find a keychain that has your name on it

93
pbs

Whether you’re Blair with no e, Sara with no h, or Bublé and not bubble, there’s one thing you all have in common: your name is almost always never spelt correctly, no matter how many times you remind your professor, friend, or Starbucks barista.

The struggle began as soon as you learned how to spell your own name. For some reason, your kindergarten teacher never seemed to remember that you’re Carly with a c, even though she is the one who essentially taught you how to spell your name. Once you learned how to spell it, you would find yourself spending hours at the Rain Forest Café gift shop looking for an alligator keychain that had your name on it. You couldn’t understand why there were so many keychains and stickers with everyone’s name on them except for yours.

So if your name is spelt in a unique way, here are some struggles you know to be true:

1. You’ve never been able to find your name on a keychain, sticker, necklace, or anything really

2. No one spells your name correctly

Even teachers who have to see and read your name every day for attendance.

3. People pronounce your name in a weird way

For example, my name is Katheryn. So for some reason, people feel the need to pronounce my name as kath-er-yn—it’s very strange.

4. Everyone tries to give you a nickname

Did you know that if your name is spelt funny or if it doesn’t look like a name that people are used to seeing, they will try to give you a nickname even though you insist on not wanting one.

5. Your name isn’t on a single Coca Cola bottle

6. People don’t understand why your name is spelled the way that it is

As if you know why—you aren’t the person who gave you your name.

7. Your phone constantly tries to autocorrect your name

8. Microsoft Word always says your name is spelt incorrectly

9. Your name is spelt wrong in the phone book, in your graduation program, and pretty much everywhere

10. For some reason, people who are wishing you Happy Birthday on Facebook, don’t seem to spell your name right even though it’s on your profile

This one really doesn't make sense to me.