The Struggles of Having a Boy Best Friend

you love him to death, even if he is an idiot most of the time

1367
Lisa Moore

Let’s face it, at some point in our lives we have all had that one male friend who knew more about you than anyone else. That guy who you went to when your girls were being annoying and you just wanted to sit back and not have to worry about who was talking to who’s ex-boyfriend or who was wearing the same shirt as so-and-so that day. As someone who grew up with a brother, and then added on a few more once my dad remarried (and a sister), it’s safe to say I am very comfortable around guys. Even to the point where I find it more preferable to be around them than girls. There are, however, lots and lots of struggles that come along with having guy best friends. In this article I am going to touch upon a few of those struggles.

Everyone thinks you should be (or that you are) dating.

This is definitely the first struggle to cross your mind when you think of issues with having a guy as a best friend. We’ve all been in that position where you have this great friendship with a guy and then somebody has to make it uncomfortable by putting in their opinion about how they think you guys should take that friendship a step further. In some cases, this is something that the two of you can just laugh off but, in other cases it puts stress on the friendship to the point where it can make it awkward or make you two act differently towards each other. If I had a penny for the amount of times I have been asked “Are you and (insert name here) dating/talking?” or “You’ll realize someday that you like them as more than a friend” I would be a very rich college student.

You can’t always talk about EVERYTHING

When you’re with your girls you can literally talk about anything, and I mean ANYTHING. From periods to that mole on your back you have to get checked out, there’s no subject that you and your girlfriends can’t or won’t talk about. This is entirely different with guy best friends. Not only are you more aware and careful about what you talk about with him but the thought of mentioning your period, or issues you’re having related to it, would never ever even slightly cross your mind. It’s like a new swear word; the big “P” one.

They’re a little bit on the slower side

It takes them a little bit longer to realize you’re upset with them or to figure out that you don’t want to talk. They just aren’t the brightest about girls and their feelings as they tend to be oblivious to all the signs you’re basically shoving down their throat. I could literally say, “I don’t want to watch a horror movie, they scare the crap out of me,” and my friend Thomas would still suggest we watch one every time we hang out. Unfortunately for T, he had to find out the hard way that I am very jumpy while watching horror movies and very capable at kicking his butt when I’m scared enough to.

Immature

There’s something in guy’s DNA’s that just makes it incapable for them to ever grow up, whether they’re 18 or 75. I couldn’t count on my two hands how many times I’ve had to listen to a guy say “that’s what she said,” or had to listen to him make annoying fart noises. It’s something that will never change; it’s almost as if there’s something in their mental makeup that just keeps an inner child in them at all times, ready to come out at any second. They also just love to instigate. Something about pushing your buttons just makes them light up like a little kid on Christmas. All in all, they may have the age of an adult but they’ll still have the mentality of a 5-year-old.

Anyone who likes you or is dating you will absolutely hate him

This one even goes vise-versa. They are probably the smallest threat in the entire world but, for whatever reason, your boyfriend/girlfriend will hate them with every single bone in the being. Doesn’t matter if you’ve known your friend for your entire life - they will still hate him. It might be something about the way it’s just easier to be around him or how laid back you are with him vs. how you act around your significant other. It will always just be one of those things that you can kind of expect from life.

These are just a few of the many struggles of having boy best friends over female ones. They can be annoying, stupid, aggravating, and childish but when it comes down to it, I would pick hanging out with my guy friends over painting nails with the girls any day of the week.