The Struggles of Dating

The Struggles of Dating

Real like experiences and observations about this generation's idea of dating

34
The Struggles of Dating

The new generation shows that changes happen, for better or for worse, in terms of education, technology, social constructs, economy, and as well as dating. Obviously, things were due to change because of the evolution of technology and how easy it can be to get lost behind a screen instead of talking face to face. There have been quite a few issues with the way in which we now consider "dating" and how to go about actually seeing others. These will just be a few experiences, observations, and also some stories I have read about due to social media portraying these ideas of what dating is in this day and age.

As most things grow and evolve over decades, so do social constructs such as dating and it could be improving or descending to a point where people shake their heads. Now I personally know that dating is never easy, from any day and age, there are struggles through each of them, but as of today, dating seems to have lost its touch. In the olden days, cellphones were not as technologically advanced as today, or they didn't exist. People back then communicated by calling (shocking I know) or talking face to face (what a horror) and maybe went out on blind dates as recommendations from friends. There was no Tinder, or Plenty of Fish, no Match or eHarmony, everything was personable and maybe a feeling of less anxiety. Now a days, there are all these apps, social medias, and dating sites where people just post a picture of their face, or not, possibly give a name and basically go hunting for the next victim.

I know we all love attention, whether from a group or the one you love, but everyone wants some form of attention and also with the problem of instant gratification these apps become dangerous. Personally, I have used these apps to the worse of their abilities, to get adoration and false love from strangers, only to feel better about myself. I have realized that was selfish, there are some genuine people out there who actually wanted to find love. I also know, there's a lot of people, and I mean a lot, who want nothing more than a cheap one night stand and then to walk away feeling no guilt. Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to every form of communication and dating apps can be good for some, but for others it's dangerous.

The art of talking to someone in person is terrifying, having to walk up to a stranger and try to get them to go on a date seems downright torturous. Hiding behind a phone screen is easy, it is so easy to just get lost in a sea of profiles, messages, false hopes and then find out that the other person's intentions are harmful. I know I do it all the time, I can't bring myself to talk to a guy I think is attractive in person, it's sad and shouldn't be this way. On the other hand, I could never imagine actually walking up to someone and being forward with my intentions or start a conversation. There are so many like myself who want to be open and talk to those we deem attractive, but don't find the courage, or maybe the intense amounts of screen time lowers our abilities to go out and be social. I am not trying to be down on people and their possible anxieties, I just feel as though dating has become a challenge for a lot of reasons, and that smartphones have ruined some of us as a generation from finding real personal connections.