The Struggle of Keeping Up With New Makeup Products And Styles

I don't remember primer bring a thing when I started wearing makeup, but now it's an essential.

33
cosmopolitan.com

Another creative contour video pops up on my Instagram explore page and I know exactly how its going to go. Yet I still watch it.

I can't tear my eyes away from the latest makeup trends, even if I let myself fall behind on them to go at my own flow of improving my beauty routines. In the end, I know I won't be able to keep up, but that's not a bad thing.

People were beautiful before makeup came about, and we remain as lovely as ever with the cosmetic technologies that let us have our fun.

Here are a few trends and products that seemed up pop up or just gain popularity this past decade, most of which I'm still trying to grapple with:

1) Primer

It's officially an essential for a well-rounded makeup routine. Before this, foundation was my base and that was that.

Now I can't imagine going on an outing without smoothing out my skin's texture and amping up the quality of my foundation by adding a dab of primer.

If I'm going to do my eye makeup full on too, I've got to dig around for my eyelid primer and hope that it makes a difference.

2) Contouring/Sculpting

I'm sure this trend has been around for a while, but its been popularized and amped up within a short timespan.

I just started using bronzer to add color back to my face after too much foundation erased the basic dimensions of my face.

In spite of all the makeup I find myself buying, I have yet to get an actual contouring shade, I just use my bronzer.

Actually, I'm pretty sure contouring evolved from using bronzer to sculpt the face.

3) Lip Contouring

I don't have the guts to do this yet. I'm still trying to make sure my liquid lipstick stays in place while drying and doesn't get on my teeth.

4) Baking

This is the opposite of what I initially imagined in my head, based off the name.

Baking is essentially adding powder under your eyes, and even under where you contoured to make certain dimensions of your face come out.

This is actually kind of fun, and the only time I actually use my beauty blender and setting powder. You take a light colored powder (call it translucent or banana powder) and dab it on with a preferably wet sponge/ beauty blender under your eyes, let it sit, then brush it off to reveal a face that's overall more radiant.

5) Argan Oil and Farsali Elixir

I've been hearing about Argan Oil on the market for years now. It's in every other shampoo and conditioner and people now use it to add glow to the face as well.

I used to mix light moisturizing gel with my foundation when I wanted an airbrushed effect, but now I can get an easy glow by putting this over my primer, or as my primer.

Some people use cosmetic serums, such as Farah Dhukai's Farsali elixir to amp up their blend and glow.

6) Beauty Blenders

People are using these specially shaped makeup sponges to blend out foundation and contour effects, but I can't get used to it. I've seen it work great with makeup serums too, but I'm still working it into my routine.

For now, I use it to bake, as mentioned before.

7) Oval Makeup Brushes

I was reallybrought into the makeup world when I got a kabuki brush. I didn't think I'd ever need anything else.

That first brush is long gone and I currently use a stifling and flat foundation brush. Yet, I'm still behind because oval makeup brushes are the latest trend (as far as I know).

8) Strobing

I'm still trying to highlight my face without looking like Rainbow Fish's fin, and people are strobing away to add radiance.

Remember just a few years back when Benefit Cosmetics came out with a variety of highlighters and they just couldn't make enough of them?

9) Color Correcting

I used to have green primer that did nothing but clog my pores. But I recently gave a correcting palette a shot and the under eye concealers gave me a complexion that made me want to keep it.

I'm still tying to figure out how to properly dab red color under my eyes and green on my cheeks without having to cake over those colors in order to hide them or blend them out of existence.

I think I'm doing something wrong because I felt like the point of putting the green corrector on my face was to encourage me to use even more concealer until there was no sign of the green, thereby no evidence of the natural redness on my skin.

10) Tinted Moisturizer/ BB Cream/ CC Cream

And all the other face makeup bases that I still can't differentiate between.

I'm 100% sure I'm missing a few significant trends, some of which are probably too new for me to have even heard about yet. I look forward to learning more of the creative tricks that we get to have fun with while looking awesome.