Straight Pride Parade Happened And Love Wasn't In The Air

The results were unexpected yet somehow expected.

8

Today's article was going to be about neighbors and lack of consideration to others. However, an event occurred recently called 'Straight Pride Parade.' August 31st, news about Straight Pride Parade in Boston were all over the media. The reactions to the event were mostly adverse rather than positive.

Why was the Straight Pride Parade received negatively? Simple, Pride Parade is not just for queer people; we are open to anyone. After all, love is love. We didn't see the love in the Straight Pride Parade; most of its participants were male. The few women present looked so unhappy to be there. The content and activities were offensive to not just queer people but non-white Americans. They also took the opportunity to spread the word for Trump's campaign. Why would you do that in a parade?

The parade didn't appear to be a desire to celebrate straight people who have faced oppression for their heterosexuality. It seemed more like a mockery of LGBTQ Pride. If it were indeed about straight pride, there would have been more females present, more enjoyment and friendly interactions towards whoever was there. The protesters, although they were not forcing themselves unto the parade, caused the police to attack them physically. This resulted in significant chaos between the police and a protester (not that there is nothing new out that). Many were hurt and sent to the hospital.

What are the differences between Straight and LGBT+ Pride events? Pride gives us refuge. We know the struggle, and we find comfort among ourselves. When it comes to heterosexuals who are outcasted, we welcome them with open arms. We are all about love, while this "pride parade" seemed more about hate.

So, why does it matter? LGBTQ+ people are more likely to be targets of hate crime along with the minorities. Trump administration ignores transgenders, and kids 'out of wedlock' are not considered citizens, and they want to legalize the firing of workers for being gay. LGBT+ youth have a five time higher rate of suicidal attempts than straight youth. LGBT+ youths are victims of bullies in schools.

Events like the Straight Pride Parade are very saddening. Homophobes/transphobes want to keep forcing their heteronormativity on everyone, even though no one is doing the same to them. Hope you are all safe from all the events, natural and humane, that are occurring!