Stop What You're Doing And Watch 'The Handmaid's Tale'

That’s all that’s being talked about in the entertainment world.
29

If you’ve heard of Hulu’s original series “The Handmaid’s Tale,” congrats! You at least know of one of the greatest series that is currently being made. If you haven’t heard of it, you must live under a rock because that’s all that’s being talked about in the entertainment world.

The show tells a tale about a dystopian future where our government has failed. Infertility is at its highest due to pollution to our environment. Only one in one hundred women can bear children, and women are seen as the lesser gender. They are not allowed to work, aren’t allowed to read, and have almost zero freedom in comparison to what they used to. America is now renamed and many former states are in a civil war with one another. Offred, who was formerly June, has been stripped of her identity, taken away from her husband and child and is now posted to bear a child for Commander Waterford.

As the tale takes you back and forth of Offred’s life in our world, versus her new life under a new government; the series draws you into the drama that comes with this series, and the binge-worthy storyline that keeps readers wanting more. Here’s why:

It’s scary

Scary in the sense that it’s oddly realistic. At first, you see the way in which they are dressed and you would think it takes place in the 1800’s. But because they want people to live in a “simpler time,” the lifestyle of old-fashioned customs in a modern world. Because gender roles play a major role in this, it’s scary as a woman to believe that this is a potential reality.

It’s only 10 episodes

But there will be more. Since the series is only in its first season there is much more to come. And if you start now, you have plenty of time to tune into the second season premiere on April 25th.

It’s not the EXACT same as the book

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it’s based on Margaret Atwood’s 1985 best-selling novel. In 1990 they even created a film starring Natasha Richardson and Robert Duvall. However, based on the three reenactments of this tale, they all have their own unique perspectives on the same story. Pick your favorite, but if you’re asking me, the series is by far the best.

It’ll teach you what the term “sisterhood” really means

One of the most famous lines in the series is by the main character herself, “They should never have given us uniforms if they didn’t want us to be an army.” This quote alone teaches the viewers that the handmaidens unite together to be each other’s only source of hope and sanity. As they are practically slaves, they must for form together to keep things as wishful and positive as possible.

You won’t stop thinking about it

There were many nights I went to bed after finishing an episode absolutely shook. I was at a loss for words for the emotional draining it took out of me. It was a series that was hard to put a pause to because it felt dire that I finish and figure out what happens next.

So the next time you hear about this wonderful Hulu series, do not pass up the opportunity to start it and binge watch it. It’ll absolutely leave you wanting more, chances are you can easily finish it in two days.