Stop The Mental Illness Stigma

Stop The Mental Illness Stigma

Don't be so close-minded.

15
Stop The Mental Illness Stigma

We live in a society that teaches us that we have to be strong all the time. Maybe it’s because that’s how our parents grew up. Maybe it’s because people don’t like to talk about uncomfortable topics. But we’re taught to be tough. Boys are seen as “less manly” if they cry. Girls are told to “stop being so sensitive.” Society tries to make us feel that if we are dealing with depression, anxiety, etc., we are giving in to a weakness because we aren’t strong enough to deal with it. We’re also told that “we’re too young” to know what these things are, let alone go through them. Well, it needs to stop.

I personally started dealing with self-esteem issues in the sixth grade. There was a boy who controlled every thought I had and every person I talked to. He would put me down in order to make sure I knew he was the only person I could turn to or would like me. From then on, I dealt with self-esteem problems, depression and anxiety for numerous reasons. It wasn’t until age 18 when I actually began seeing counselors and getting help for things I thought I was dealing with on my own.

For the longest time, I felt pathetic and weak. I was too scared to tell people that I dealt with issues at such a young age, because I knew that people would just say I had no idea; I was only a kid. I was too scared to tell people when I first began seeing counselors. I was scared of being judged or looked at differently. Some of my closest friends and family don’t even know about the issues I’ve dealt with. For all the years I was too scared to speak up, I was just another person believing the negative views and stigmas of mental health. I believed that, since I was so young, I had no idea what it could mean to feel anxiety or depression. I believed that if I were to get help, it was because I wasn’t strong enough of a person to take care of myself like everyone else was.

But now, I realize that I’m even stronger because I did speak up. I can now openly talk about it for myself and for the other people who can’t. Seeing counselors and getting help was one of the best decisions I could have ever made. Whether for big problems or simple ones, it really does help. People put such negative stigmas around people who have mental illnesses. It makes people suffering from them feel like they can’t speak up for fear of judgment, isolation and mockery.

Enough is enough. It’s time for people to understand that there is nothing negative about admitting that you’re dealing with something and getting help for it. It does not make you weak -- it makes you brave. Also, just because a person is young does not mean they can’t be dealing with mental illnesses. Depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc. are all things people deal with. In fact, a lot more people deal with it than anyone would think. Many people just aren’t open about it because, really, why would they be? To be judged? Of course not -- no one wants to feel ashamed. So mental health is hushed and pushed into the corner. I’m here to speak up and stop the stigma. I hope you will too.