Stop Saying All Lives Matter

Stop Saying All Lives Matter

It's useless and offensive.

38
Stop Saying All Lives Matter

Now, before you get all up in arms and call me a little white sheep or whatever name, which I know will happen either way, just read this.

I am tired. I am so tired of seeing stories, the most heartbreaking stories, about senseless murder happening in this world. I don’t want to wake up everyday and see that. I don’t feel like I am exaggerating because that is how frequent these violent and careless acts are happening.

But what am I more tired of? People saying “ALL LIVES MATTER.” Which started after the BLACK LIVES MATTER movement began. You know why I am so tired of seeing that? Yes, every life is important, whether you’re black, white, human or gorilla. But by saying that all lives matter, you’re missing the point of how one race is constantly targeted, and is not seen as not worthy enough to LIVE as white people are.

Brock Turner, a 20-year-old, white male, and former Stanford swimmer, (can’t forget he’s a swimmer!) raped a woman and gets less than six months. Not to mention, in all of the articles, they had to mention his best swimming times, wow, go Brock!

Alton Sterling, a 37-year-old, black male, sold CDs and DVDs outside of a store, gets pinned down on the ground by two police officers, one with his knee crushing Sterling’s left arm and the other with a tight grip around his right, and shoots Sterling six times.

The difference here is, Brock has white privilege. Those two police officers didn’t feel that Sterling was worthy enough to live, and just simply too dangerous after still being affected by the taser, with both hands empty, that they had to shoot him six times. Not just once, but six.

I am not against law enforcement by any means, I am against racism, ignorance, and injustice. Police are trained to PROTECT and SERVE. But when they pull out a gun, after they’ve already tasered a man and have pinned him to the ground, my question is why? Using a gun, should be a police officer’s LAST resort.

And you can pull out your 2015 statistics about cops killing more whites than blacks and call me stupid, but guess what? The percentage is higher because there are more whites than blacks in the United States. So per capita, more blacks are killed. Try again.

What about all of the pro gun people who were all up in arms when the Orlando shooting happened? Where are you? Where were you when Philando Castile, licensed to carry, and informed the officer of that, before reaching for his ID, was shot and killed with his girlfriend and daughter in the car?

Rest in peace, to Alton Sterling. Rest in peace, to Philando Castile. Rest in peace, to Brent Thompson, Patrick Zamarripa, Michael Krol, Michael Smith, and Lorne Ahrens, the five Dallas police officers that were killed because of all of this madness. We cannot fight fire with fire.

We can fight by standing up and demanding peace and justice in this twisted system.

If I can use this small platform I have to change this world in the tiniest amount, that is what I will do. I could not just sit back and be silent. Anyone can say “All Lives Matter” and post it on their facebook, hashtag it, make it a temporary profile pic, wear it on a t-shirt until they’re blue in the face, but until they speak out, or try to do something to actually help the lives that the justice system thinks don’t matter, it’s useless and offensive. Because by saying that, you’re not focusing on the actual problem. If you don’t understand what I am saying, here’s a little analogy that I scrolled past the other day by a comedian named Felonious Munk. He says “If I break my leg, I do not want the doctor telling me, 'All legs should be healed’, I want the doctor to fix my leg.”

When you say “All Lives Matter” it’s like you are treating the “ Black Lives Matter” like it’s saying “Only Black Lives Matter” which it is not. By saying “All Lives Matter” while it is true, it only ignores the problem that black people are experiencing.

Everyone can say all lives matter, however, they don’t practice that.

If you still don’t understand, think, and study it a few times.

For those who do understand what I am saying, let’s bring more peace and light into this dark hell hole we are in right now. Let’s come together and fight for the lives that should not have been taken the way they were.

Thank you.