How To Stop The S.A.D.ness

How To Stop The S.A.D.ness

A guide to get through winter.

18
How To Stop The S.A.D.ness
Vivienne Gucwa

As winter approaches, I find myself in a bind. The long, cold, endless nights of no motivation begin to haunt me. Why is it that as winter rolls around, my personality and priorities completely change? Recently, I have found out that I am not alone in this. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of depression that is triggered as the seasons change. This disorder primarily takes affect in colder seasons like winter. Being "SAD" can cause you to become less motivated, stop you from interacting with others and make you depressed. The cold weather doesn’t just stop you from wanting to go outside, it becomes a primary reason to stay isolated from others. Perhaps you are thinking, “Wow, this is exactly how I feel in the wintertime." I’m here to tell you there are ways to avoid the SAD(ness).

Here are some ways to keep your positive vibes going as the winter session approaches:

Staying Active:

Working out, going on walks or going to the gym a few times a week keeps your muscles growing and your heart pumping. These actions are often encouraged as a way to keep your body in shape for the “summer look." Keeping up to stay fit in the winter will give you a positive mentality about yourself and life. Once winter is over, you’ll be fit and ready to show the world a new and healthier you. Who doesn’t want to be happy and healthy all year long?

Keeping Up with Yourself:

During the winter people often take a break from their “daily” grooming. Why shave if you won’t be wearing shorts? People think why paint my nails fun colors and design its not summer? Guys often take part in No Shave November. The lack of motivation to stay clean can stop. Keeping up with your nails, hair, eyebrows or any tedious part of the body will help you see yourself in a better way. It will keep you loving yourself even in the coldest of hours.

Tanning:

A main reason people love summer is to go tanning. Their freshly colored skin glows throughout the over heating hours of summer. As winter approaches, that color begins to fade. This fear of not being tan and losing summer is a trigger for SAD. Going tanning is proven to help people feel more comfortable in the winter. Adding that extra bit of color, as the snow begins to fall, makes certain people feel as if summer is still here. Though tanning isn’t for everyone, it definitely can help stop the winter blues.

Going Outside:

Winter is known for people staying inside, watching movies, relaxing and cuddling. It is a time for avoiding the entire outside world. Who needs to go outside when there is a T.V. calling my name? This isolation process can cause many people to become depressed. Even in the wintertime, it is important to go outside and take in the fresh air. You need to feel the earth outside your door. Going outside will motivate you to get dressed and see what’s going on in the world. It will also remind you how you go outside all throughout the summer, so why not do it in the wintertime? Getting that fresh winter air in your system will clear out all the overly humid heater air that you’ve been breathing in. Who doesn’t love to play in the snow all winter long?

Though the winter is for the cold and sadness, we as society can break away from this depression. Keeping up with your daily routines, staying true to yourself and opening up to what winter has to offer is just a few ways to beat these blues. "Winter is coming" should not be a phrase we fear.