judging appearance

If You're Still Judging People Based On Their Appearance, I'm Gonna Have To Ask You To Leave

Honestly, keep those unnecessary thoughts to yourself... no one wants to hear them.

549
Sophia Bercow

We're going to have to talk about a huge pet peeve of mine. How is it 2018 and we're still judging people based off their appearances? These are things I literally don't understand, but something I know we're all guilty of – including myself. Whether it's an outfit choice or a physical feature, I think we all need to chill on the pointless bashing of others for their looks.

You have literally no idea what could be going on in someone's life, and the last thing we should want to do is make them feel worse for a pointless reason.

Raise your hand if you've ever been running late for class for whatever reason, so you just run out the door wearing whatever was quickest to find. I know I've literally left the house in an oversized t-shirt, sweats, and socks with Birkenstocks before because I had 10 minutes to get to my class that was a 20-minute walk away. My hair was in a messy bun, and I hadn't even considered the idea of putting on make-up. As I backpack ran to class, I got so many weird looks from people who were clearly assuming I just don't care about my outward appearance.

Listen, it's not that I don't care because I do like to look nice. That's not the issue. The problem was that I could read the faces of people who saw me, and I immediately knew they were judging my lack of effort. Why? No one knew how my morning had gone. It doesn't matter if it was because I had overslept my alarm (just like literally every college student has done at least once), or if I was dealing with some kind of emergency. There was no reason for the judgmental looks I received solely based on my outfit choices. I can personally tell you it didn't help the stressful morning I was already experiencing.

Even worse than outfit choices, though, is judging people for things they can't change about themselves.

Everyone is self-conscious about some aspect of their body, so why are we still body shaming? I personally think I have a big nose, and it would break my heart to find out that people judged my face because of it. This is something I have no control over, so there is no reason at all to speak negatively about it. If you're someone who thinks like this or speaks like this, please, kindly get up, and walk away from me. I'm not interested in your toxic attitude.

The moral of the story here is: be nice.

Even beyond outward appearance, I think we all need to work on the culture of speaking negatively about one another. I do feel like there's a difference between expressing frustration when someone made you upset or uncomfortable, however, if you find yourself personally attacking someone's character or appearance, maybe stop and take a breath before you finish that thought. It's not hard to be a pleasant person, so make a conscious effort to be one. This starts with little things, like eliminating judgment on appearance altogether.