Stop Holding Yourself Back

Stop Holding Yourself Back

Don't be afraid. Just take that leap.

14
Stop Holding Yourself Back
UIC Design

More and more every day, I see people who are not living to their fullest potential. They're afraid that they're not good enough, that they're not good enough for their crush or that their college major will get them nowhere or that they just can't make it if they pursue their dreams. People are too afraid to strive toward what they truly want, simply because of the fear of failing or being inadequate because of the pressure that society puts on us to meet bizarre expectations of who we should be and how we should live.

I honestly can't sit here and tell you that I've never been in this position, that this has never happened to me. I can't tell you that I've never had doubts about my worth or whether or not I was on the right path to do good in the world, but I can live with that because I can recognize that it's not true and that there is an entire universe of opportunities that I, as a capable human being, am obligated to seek out. But what I can't live with is the thinking that one can never achieve greatness or make a difference, because everyone is capable of that. Everyone is capable of changing the way that they think when it comes to being afraid of falling short or being insecure.

Here's how:

1. "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

This quote from our queen Hilary Duff's movie "A Cinderella Story" is so incredibly true. I cannot stress enough how many people would benefit from simply taking a chance, not only on others but also on themselves. If you never try, if you never take that leap, you'll never know what could happen.

2. You don't have to put labels on things.

Every single situation in life is so different, no matter how clichéd that statement is. You don't have to experience something the same way as someone else does or deal with things the way society thinks is average. If your way of going about something—let's say a relationship, for example—is a little unconventional according to other people's standards, who the hell cares? Like, why does the guy always have to ask the girl out and make the first move? Guess what. They don't.

So put labels aside. They don't define who you are or how you live your life. You're an individual. Don't let labels and standards hold you back from what you want because everyone and every situation is different.

3. Have faith in yourself.

Believing in yourself is quite possibly the most important piece of advice I could ever give someone. Learn to love you. Be confident in the fact that you are capable of going after what you want—whether it's a job, a relationship, a college or any other dream. Go for it. You want to see if you can be more than friends with someone? Go for it. You want to perform on Broadway? Go for it. You want to own your own small business? Go for it. Hell, even if you want to be a CEO of a huge company, go. For. It. Of course, not everyone in the world is going to end up with a white fence and a mansion, but if you don't believe in yourself long enough to try and get yourself there, you're never going to get it anyways.

We have so many opportunities in life to go in the direction of our dreams. I'm truly amazed at where I've gotten myself in my short 19 years of life simply because I took a chance and took spontaneous leaps by putting faith in myself, even if there was no obvious fall back waiting there for me. You have to put yourself out there and see what you can accomplish because you'd be in awe of what happens when you just put faith in your strengths as a person and take the chance.

Don't be afraid. Stop holding yourself back.