Stop Abusing GoFundMe

Stop Abusing GoFundMe

If I see another fundraiser for a new car or vacation, I'm gonna freak out.

2434
Stop Abusing GoFundMe
Instagram

If you use social media often you've probably heard of GoFundMe. It's a website that allows you to create a fundraiser for any given reason and people can go to your GoFundMe site and donate to your cause. It seems harmless, and its intentions are good. I've seen many fundraisers for tragedy victims, medical bills, and people in poverty. However, like everything else on the Internet, I have seen GoFundMe and similar sites being totally abused.

Am I the only one who finds it insulting that some people think it's appropriate to set up an online donation box for a vacation or a car? I've come across quite a few of these in recent weeks and I just have to ask: why? So many people literally live on the streets and are humiliated to have to beg for money for food and rent. I don't know why middle and upper class people are perfectly content to do the same thing in order to attempt to raise money for things they don't need.

It may sound harsh, but I'm going to say it: if you don't have a job, you should be getting one before asking strangers or distant acquaintances for hand outs. If you have a job and still don't have money for what you want, then be a grown up and accept that it's not in the cards for you right now. Or get a loan. Or another job. Please stop asking people to give you money so you can go to a concert or a trip abroad. It's the biggest example of abuse of privilege I can think of. If you don't HAVE to beg for money, you absolutely shouldn't be doing it.

I get kind of insulted when I see these kinds of things come up on my feed. There are a LOT of things I want and need right now. I need a new laptop for school, a plane ticket, I need money to pay a dog sitter, I could sure use my own car, and I want to go to Florida to visit a friend. Financially, I can't do these things on my own, so I'm working it out. I'm asking for help from family members in exchange for me doing work for them. I'm saving up. I'm looking for a well paying job. I'm accepting what I can't have at this moment in time. I would never in a million years imagine setting up a site so my Facebook friends can send me money for my plane ticket.

Why should I just assume that those around me have money to throw away on my trip or new car? If they do, I would much rather them give to one of those people I pass on the street every day with the sadness in their eyes and look of embarrassment on their face. Let's be real here: If you are high enough class wise to have an expensive device to set up a GoFundMe on, you can afford your luxury item, you just don't feel like spending your money. Or else you are making a poor financial decision and asking others for handouts to soften the blow. If you can't afford it, don't do it till you can. Simple as that.