Stomping The Sophomore Slump

Stomping The Sophomore Slump

Let's get down to business and resolve our issues.
0

Most of us can understand the difficulty of being a second-year college student. If you’re unfamiliar here's your answer! As sophomores, some of us have already had our excitement that comes with college. The new experiences and starting a life away from home. It’s difficult to top such an amazing first year when you finally arrive at the real reason of why we come to college- for that shiny degree.

You’re unmotivated, lagging, and even question waking up for that 1 p.m. class. You’re that slumped. The idea of studying every day and not sleeping as much as we’d like puts us in a daze (one I’m currently struggling with myself). For those that need a little wake-up call on how to fight the slump, you’ve come to the right place. Prepare for your spirits to be instantly lifted as you head out on this journey with me.

And now let me present to you, the best ways to beat the sophomore s.l.u.m.p:

Stay hydrated.

The benefits of water can’t be explained enough. While we all need that soda every now and again, the sweeteners found within them will only leave you with a sugar high and water loss. Yes, they’re caffeinated and they taste better half the time but they have no health benefits. Water will keep you hydrated (over time leading to less fatigue) and increase energy levels. With the slump you’re feeling right about now I would bet you’ve had a couple sodas today instead of water. Kick it, now. The water will relieve any headaches experienced from that sugar rush along with boost your immune system to fight that nasty virus circling around campus.

Listen to your body.

Take care of yourself. I understand it’s easier said than done. Heck, I can barely put myself together for class in the morning so I don’t have much room to talk; however, keeping up with your health is more important than some of us college students care to realize. Listen, learn, and protect your body, you’re gonna be stuck in it for some time.

Utilize your parents.

Call them, just do it. I mean, we should call our parents throughout the week to check in on them and let them know we’re still alive- barely. When it gets difficult and you seem to be dragging throughout the day, give them a call. I can promise that having someone listen to everything crazy or boring going on in your life (and genuinely care) will do wonders for your spirit.

Make time.

Taking on more than you can mentally and physically handle will have you running out of steam quicker than you can imagine. Wanting to sleep all day every day? Yeah, I’ve been there too, I’m there now. So find time to take a break, go to the gym, and go for a run outside. The energy you’ll have afterward will leave you feeling like the Energizer Bunny.

Prepare for the week.

With making time comes planning out your schedule. Sophomore year is a doozy. You’ll most likely be flustered with how busy you are between the unusual school load, possibly working, volunteer programs, and organizations you decided to join. Get a planner, organize your life, and set some “me time.” You’ll be surprised with how quickly your mood will change and the weight off your shoulders will lighten up.