I Still Call My Mother

I Still Call My Mother

& I will continue to call my mother.

56
I Still Call My Mother
SquareSpace

Let me start by saying this, I was by no means born with a silver spoon in my mouth and I have most certainly not had the easiest go of things in life. However, I do consider myself very lucky to have such a strong support system and to have been "handed" a lot of things in life without question. I've really never had to go wanting. I do make money for myself and support myself in many ways, I have been taught to be responsible and I have been taught the value of a dollar but my mother has always been there in my time of need, whether it be financially or otherwise. My mother has always been there to get me out of absolutely every mess I've managed to get myself into, even if she didn't always agree with my decisions or actions. She's without a doubt been the most supportive person in my life in more ways than one. My mom would willingly fight all my battles for me if she could.

There are a lot of things I still don't feel completely capable of doing on my own because, in some sense of the word, my mother has done what some would refer to as "babying" me for most of my life.

I still call my mother when I have a tough decision to make, whether it be about where I apply to graduate school or if I take a job or not.

I still call my mother when I have an easy decision to make, like what flavor ice cream I want or whether I should buy a pair of shoes.

I still call my mother when my car makes a funny noise.

I still call my mother when I don't feel well.

I still call my mother when my boyfriend makes me cry.

I still call my mother when my friends upset me.

I still call my mother when I need to make a doctors appointment.

I still call my mother every night before I go to bed.

I still call my mother when I have a bad day.

I still call my mother when I have a good day.

Some people find my relationship with my mother to be a little odd because at twenty-two I should probably be working my way towards independence... right? I don't think so. I don't see anything abnormal about loving your mother, or about a mother loving her daughter.

To be honest there are days when we can't stand each other. There are days when she's ready to kill me because I did something irresponsible. There are days when she gets on my nerves as well. You know what, though? My mother hasn't gone to bed in twenty-two years without letting me know that she loves me before she falls asleep. How many people can say that?

My mother has genuinely taught me what it's like to love another person more than you love yourself. She has taught me what it's like to feel loved, and what it's like to feel like you are wanted, even on the bad days. She has taught me so much more than she's even aware of simply by loving me.

So I will continue to call my mother. I will continue to call my mother on my good days, and on my bad days. I will continue to call my mother when I'm indecisive, or when I don't know what temperature the oven's supposed to be at. I will still call my mother when every night before bed, and when I get home safe at night. I will continue to call my mother because there are some people out there who are not fortunate as I am to have this relationship, and because tomorrow is never promised.

As I've grown up, I've become so much more aware of the importance of my relationship with my mom. When I graduate college I will continue to call my mother. When I move away I will continue to call my mother. When I have am a mother myself, I will continue to call my mother.