Step-Siblings And All The Things You Need To Know

You're a pain in the butt, but I love you.

156

Growing up, I always wished that I could have a sibling to spend time with. Well, you know what they say — “Be careful what you wish for." When I got a little bit older, my parents ended up getting divorced, but luckily, they both got remarried. Along with a new step-parent came new step-siblings, four to be exact. After I got new siblings, there were many things that I needed to get used to. Here are all of the things that you can expect to experience with your step-siblings:

1. It WILL be awkward at first, but that’s OK.

You have to stop and really think about what has just happened: Two families have become one. There are going to be plenty of things that you still have to learn about one another. They are still strangers to you, as you are to them.

2. Personal space is no longer a thing. Get used to it.

You are probably used to having your own room, and maybe your own bathroom. Times are changing; you may have a new roommate.

3. Things can and will get a little bit crazy.

Enough said.

4. They will be there for you.

Being there for you is just one of the many things that siblings are great for. Sometimes, you just need someone to listen to you while you vent or rant about something. They can give you really great advice, and of course, you will return the favor.

5. You/they become a role model.

When growing up with siblings, there is always pressure to be great. But in reality, you are perfect to them. Even if they never actually say it to you, you know they appreciate what you do for them.

6. There will be some disagreement.

Yes, there will be some arguing over the simplest little things, like what chore you are going to do for the day or what TV show to watch.

7. They will tease you, and you will tease them.

"So how old are you now? 12?" "NO, I'm 20." There are little things here and there that will make you mad, and they know it. Usually they only tease you because they want to get a reaction out of you. Admit it, though, you’ll do it, too.

8. You will always love them no matter what.

After all the little things that happen, you still love them. They may get on your nerves and you’ll do the same, but it’s all worth it.