Chatting With: Steezy Kane

Keeping it Breezy With Steezy: An Interview with Steezy Kane

By: James McDonald

www.jamesmcphoto.com

@james.mc16

1592
James McDonald

Nineteen-year-old skateboarder, vlogger, and prankster Isaiah Shepard, otherwise known as Steezy Kane has been blowing up the internet with his daring, crazy, and hilarious videos. His fan base has been getting bigger and bigger, allowing him to gain almost two million subscribers over a two-year span. His charm, wit, and positivity allows for him to do and say almost anything without getting in severe trouble. Steezy's wide variety of content includes throwing paper airplanes down Hollywood Hills, Selfies With Fake Celebrities in Hollywood, Hitting on Girls with a Megaphone, and Chilling with Hippies. I had the opportunity to talk to Steezy about pranks that didn't go as planned, how he is able to hide his cameras for pranks and social experiments, and much more.

James: How did you get started? What inspired you to make your channel?

Steezy: I've been doing YouTube since I was eight years old when my mom bought me a camera and a laptop, which was my first time ever having electronics to play with. My dad taught me how to edit and photoshop. After that point I made videos all day, making short films with my brothers or recreating my favorite movies and that camera became my best friend. I've made about four channels before creating "Steezy Kane", and I got tired of my real name so I went with my middle name "Kane" and added Steezy which is skateboarding slang and means "style with ease". I used to watch a ton of YouTube when I was little so that inspired me to start my own, and everyone was always supportive of my YouTube, but they all thought it was a hobby. I don't think they saw what I saw.

James: How long does it normally take to make a good video?

Steezy: For a prank video I can think of the idea and shoot it in the same day and maybe finish the editing the next day. But for a full on short sketch like "The AirPodâ„¢ Curse", that video took a week of planning, casting, writing, producing, and another week to shoot and edit.

James: What makes your channel different from other YouTubers with similar content?

Steezy: I'm very careful with what I upload. I always make sure every second of my content is enjoyable. Not to say that other YouTubers don't do this but I've made several videos that I never uploaded because I felt like they weren't funny enough. I also turn down almost all brands that want to work with me because I don't really like the idea of promoting a product unless I actually use it and care about it.

James: Has there ever been a time where a prank went wrong or didn't go as planned?

Steezy: I think there's only been one time a video didn't go as planned, and that's the pier jump one. I hit my head really hard on the water and then a migraine hit me 30 minutes after, and I think I got a minor concussion. I wished I had filmed that part but I was in a lot of pain and I passed out in a Starbucks right after.

James: What's been your favorite part about the whole Youtube experience?

Steezy: My favorite part about the whole YouTube experience has been being able to have a flexible schedule and getting paid for what I would be already be doing for free.

James: What was your favorite and least video to make?

Steezy: My favorite video I've made was "The AirPodâ„¢ Curse" and that was also the hardest. My least favorite I would have to say are becoming the songs in public. I still enjoy making them a lot but I don't see myself making them forever. I want to lean more towards high production content like the AirPod video. It may be a lot harder to make but I find myself enjoying that more than prank videos.

James: How do people normally react when you tell them that it's only a prank?

Steezy: When I tell people it's a prank the usual reaction is excitement and relief, but sometimes people get more pissed off and want me to blur their face.

James: Is it hard trying to hide the camera for the pranks?

Steezy: It's pretty easy to keep the camera hidden outdoors. My filmer just films from a good distance and zooms in. But in the library is always a challenge. Sometimes we get behind bookshelves and film between the books or my filmer will sit down with the camera and put a book on top.

James: How do you stay motivated to keep making content?

Steezy: I lose motivation a lot, and It causes me to procrastinate. What I find that helps me a lot is editing somewhere else like a Starbucks, or even helping friends film inspires me a lot.

James: What videos are you planning on making next? Are you planning on doing anything else besides Youtube? What are your goals as a Youtuber moving forward?

Steezy: Ever since I was little I always knew I wanted to be something big, I just didn't really know what. I couldn't really choose. I kinda wanted to do it all. One of my biggest inspirations, Donald Glover does almost everything and that's what I really look up to. He doesn't settle for one category. He does acting, directing, writing, comedy, music, and entrepreneurship. I really just want to do it all.