Staying Silent Means Survival in ‘A Quiet Place’

Who else had to muffle their screams?

147
YouTube

*SPOILER ALERT*

The only sounds you can hear in the theater are people breathing and the occasional muffled screams (mostly coming from me). I’ve never felt so tense while watching a film before, and A Quiet Place was definitely one of the best thrillers I’ve seen since Get Out. Directed by John Krasinski, the actor who played Jim Halpert on the U.S. version of the TV show, The Office, A Quiet Place definitely had people sitting at the edge of their seats and led to some sweaty hands and palpitating hearts.

Krasinski tapped into his director skills to portray a family of five trapped in a world with blind, fast monsters who hunt using their hearing and where sign language is their sole means of communication. Unsure of who is still alive and who can come rescue them, all they can do is stay quiet and try to live a “normal” life.

The first scene definitely had me SHOOK. When the youngest child, Beau, started to play with his noisy toy rocket, I was literally so mad. His attempt at a normal childhood, filled with toys and laughter, was what killed him. Krasinski’s character, Lee, is unable to save him from the monster’s grasp, and I just couldn’t believe that he was killed off so early in the film.

After we learn Beau has been killed, we fast forward several months and discover that Lee’s wife, Evelyn, played by Krasinski’s off-screen and on-screen wife Emily Blunt, is pregnant once more with her due date fast approaching. Honestly, at this point, I was thinking, “This is honestly one of the worst times to have a baby…” But then again, who else will continue the human race?

In the film, our first encounter with the monster is when the middle child, Marcus, breaks a glass lantern while playing Monopoly with his deaf sister, Regan. It’s the first, clear incident that takes place to show what can happen when any loud noise is made. At this moment, I could sense people giving me weird looks because I sounded like I was getting kidnapped with duct tape over my mouth. (I’m sorry I get scared so easily!!!!)

The pivotal scene is when Evelyn’s water breaks, and she has to force herself to stay quiet as the baby is about to burst out. Imagine that. Excruciating pain in her abdomen area with multiple contractions and blood coming out, but being unable to scream or say anything. This was probably the most stressful moment of the film for me.

On a somewhat happier note, Krasinski describes this film as a love letter to his children. In A Quiet Place, we are able to see his character’s final scene, as he shows his last act of love to his children when they are at risk of getting killed by the monster.

Knowing that this is the last time he’ll see his children, Lee signals to his daughter that he loves her and has always loved her. With one last look, he selflessly yells as loud as he can to sacrifice himself so that his children can escape. At this point, I was honestly a mess—tears rolling down my face, hand covering my mouth. Basically, my soul was leaving my body.

All in all, this film definitely contained several jumpscares with a tinge of sadness, and I really enjoyed the concepts behind this film. Seriously though, don’t eat anything while watching because 1) it’s too loud and 2) you’re going to get indigestion. Also, don’t watch this film by yourself!! It’s too nerve-wracking to watch it alone. This film also deserves more views if possible!

Kudos to John Krasinski for directing this film!